intro to woodworking DVD/video?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,

This is my first post - I've gotton a lot of great info by trawling through the forums here. As a newbie I'm looking to buy a "intro to woodworking" video or DVD - was wondering if anyone could recommend one. I've ordered a few books but would like the comfort of having a program as well.

Thanks, gar

Welcome to the forum, gar. I'd love to be able to reel off a list of titles, but I haven't a clue. Off hand I can't recall any general woodworking intros; usually they're either concentrated on a particular technique or machine. Hopefully someone who's seen more of them than I have will be able to suggest something.

Cheers, Alf

Gar
Welcome! How about the "New Yankee Workshop" on Discovery Realtime??? If you have Sky you certainly should look out for this show-it has learnt me a LOT!
Cheers
Philly :D

Hmmm....

Anyone remember Richard Blizzard? A few years ago he made some programmes for H&L which amounted to little more than 'glue & screw'. It was all very basic and clearly aimed at the novice.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a very good TV card on my computer in those days, although at the time it was pretty much state-of-the-art. Anyway, I recorded a number of the programmes and now I've archived them to DVD. They're just about watchable - but only just.

If you're interested, Gar, let me know by PM.

Gill

Hi Philly

Yes, that was the name. All very basic stuff and geared towards encouraging novices that they could make something useful and quite presentable without mastering too many woodworking skills.

Gill

Ooh, Richard Blizzard. I am sure as a child I used to watch him on TV, making a model Rolls Royce with a round back end. Thought it was fantastic as a child. I have since got some of his books and they dont look nearly as good with adult eyes, but havent seen him on TV since then. His books come up on ebay regularly, or you can photocopy the plans from the library..... :wink:

Steve.

Hi All,

Thanks all - I'd be definately interested in having a look at those DVDS Gill - I've sent you a PM. I've just bought Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual (based on recommendations from this site) and picked up a number of others from the library. Thanks again - this site is really helpful.

Gar,

Could I suggest 2 videos. The first is "Mastering Woodworking Machines" by Mark Duginske. The second is "Hand Tools" by Frank Klauz. Both are sold by Taunton Press.

These 2 videos will give you basic knowledge of how to use and care for tools. When it comes to what to do with those tools, as others have pointed out, the available videos become more task specific. There is a series of videos that would fill the bill, Marc Adams School of Woodworking produces a series that covers all the bases. The series is expensive,but, I believe to be well worth the price.You can also buy individual videos from him on the topics that interest you most.

Brent

Back