intro/question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi, just thought id introduce myself. im a student, and im taking an interest in woodworking basically because my old man has a small hobby workshop, and while hed love me to follow in his footsteps as an electrician, sawblades scare me a lot less than wiring. it was a compromise for me to spend time with him, and ive learnt a bit and actually developed a taste for it :D

ive been doing a bit of googling, and i found out about this show in taiwan, they seem to have a lot of big machines there. well out of our range, but i was wondering... why have a horizontal bandsaw? the site linked to one for a manufacturer, and i couldnt quite get my head around why having the bandsaw horizontal was a benefit. any ideas?

thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
:D
I have seen one of these in use in the plastic moulding business for trimming and cutting of vacuum formed items.
Not sure if what you saw was the same.
Phil

no it was specifically for woodworking. im sure theres some advantage, or else why would they make it lol. its only really an industrial machine, so it probably has some niche use. ill see if i can find the link when its not such an ungodly hour :D

Hi dereon,

Welcome to the workshop :)

Are you posting at 3.45am because you're a student, or because you're in Taiwan?!? :)

I believe some portable sawmills (for planking logs and other raw timber) use a horizontal bandsaw setup. And the horizontal style is common for metal-cutting bandsaws, but I've never seen a standard woodworking bandsaw that way.

its summer, i have very little to do other than check forums and play online games lol. sort of anxiously awaiting my results, making sure i dont have to resit a year of study :D not that i did much anyway, which is i suppose the reason for my anxiety!

they seem to have changed the site about a bit since the last time i looked, but ill have a browse about and see if i can find it. no idea of the max sizes etc but it looked like an impressive bit of kit. its possible that its just a gimmick, but it looked cool.

th_Woodfest2005010.jpg
I think this is what they call an horizontal bandsaw.

Alan

Back