Intro of newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanemaux

In Memorium
Reaction score
Hi all, Mike the newbie here. Thought the off topic chat might be the place to intro myself to the more learned , longer period enrolled in the UK wood scene. I am a Canuck from the colonies who is most interested in the hand tool scene.This is a hobby for myself and my daughter that we can share. My daughter is Delayed in development and would fare poorly with the noise and possible danger inherent in the power tooled shop. Darn few life threatening plane accidents. We are also both quite happy to take our time rehabbing old rusty tools and clever gadgetry. My other interests probably would not interest others so much, so I will resist the urge to bore people with them. Not much else to say then . Looking forward to many happy conversations with you all, just check the hand tool section and you will likely find me pickin through the wisdom of others to try and build a store of my own. Hope I can manage it, I could sure use some .

Hi Mike, welcome to you and your daughter to the forum. It is a friendly place to be!

My use of hand tools is mainly concerned with hand held gouges on a lathe, a fascinating and fairly quiet way of getting to cut wood. A pole lathe would be a very quiet, user friendly way of getting things done just using your own power.

My excuse is that pushing a plane really upsets the arthritis in my hands. Wacking a chisel with a mallet isn't a problem, but even push/pull a hand saw sets bells ringing.

Good luck with your work and I hope that your daughter gets as much enjoyment out of working with wood as you probably do and as most of us on here definitely do! :D

lanemaux":37czdaa5 said:
My other interests probably would not interest others so much, so I will resist the urge to bore people with them.

How will we ever know? Oh and welcome :lol:

Hi Mike, and hi everyone else.

I am a 'newbie' too. I'm Ian from the wonderful world of Yorkshire, Thirsk to be precise!

Been visiting the website for some time now. found the forum very interesting and so have now decided to sign up and participate! Don't have a great deal of time on my hands but will contribute as much as possible.

Cheers

Ian

Actually Jonzjob the most obvious would be right in the signature phrase. Been a Dr. Who watcher since William Hartnel was playing the role. Also like Sherlock. Basically Canuck TV is rubbish , the murrican reality influence. I would also read a toothpaste tube if nothing else were available , but mostly sci-fi and fantasy... Lord of the Rings springs to mind. Just the usual stay at home dad who is somewhat mad I suppose. My daughters care requirements are such that I have spare time but cannot get out much. My wife is a fine dining chef and so makes more than I would . Also she is not strong enough to take care of my daughter as efficiently as I can. House hubby it is then. Oh yes , was a private pilot till eyesight began to fail and heart got fluttered.
Mike
ps That is more than anyone wanted to know , but it is out of the way now (can almost hear the collective sigh of relief from here)

Welcome Mike. Hope you enjoy yourself on the Forum.

lanemaux":13yarvx0 said:
Hi all, Mike the newbie here. My other interests probably would not interest others so much, so I will resist the urge to bore people with them. Not much else to say then .

'Probably' doesn't mean 'definitely'. So maybe we would be interested. After all, this section is labelled 'Other Topics'!.

I have a degree in Butterfly Collecting. Now 'that's boring' and anyway I don't practice it any more!

John
:lol:

Mike!

Lord of the Rings!!

How very sad!

I have only read it about 5 times now. Also have the 13 audio tape set and the boxed video set. How sad is that, a fantastic story. I much prefer the books to the films. Nothing in this world is as large as your own imagination and that is impossible to put into a film, plus, they took a hell of a lot of liberties with the story in those films!

Read the Hobbit several times and got the CD set of Martin Shaw reading it. Now he is a real fan too and reads it fantastically.

The 'haunted fish tank' (TV in some peoples language) is in its own lovely French style cherry wood cabinet and the doors are shut most of the time. Too much else to do in my workshop and the swimming pool!

I too do some flying, almost all gliders, but I don't sit in them because I have seen just how I land sometimes! Radio control working on the principle that they are always radio and sometimes controlled! :oops: :oops:

Yes John, Radio control is great stuff... lot to be said for the other way as well. Few things as breathtaking as the controlled crash of a glider landing in a schwiezer 222 trainer with a hot stick type in charge.All this while settled fundament is centimeters from the skid said landing depends on... YEHAAA! First time I expierienced the Lord of the Rings I was in isolation in a village hospital with something nastily contageous . The nurses hated to gown up so I became adroit at taking my own temp and recieved snack sandwiches in cellophane via air delivery, as in thrown. The only channels on TV were CBC not a thrilling watch back then, so I begged mommy to bring words lined up in a row for my sanities sake. She brought an omnibus paperback of LOTR which I promptly devoured, then turned over and began again... in all probability 4 or 5 times during my stay. This was to stand me in good stead once I returned to Toronto and it's university pub nights. LOTR trivia contests were the vogue at the time at said watering holes and I paid for astonishingly few drinks for a lengthy period. Later when I took up parenting as a vocation Tolkien once again lent me aid...I am told my Smaug readings were hilarious and between that and the Zelda video game my son became an avid reader... and now we share my library of sci-fi and fantasy ...quite a savings all told
Mike

Back