Interpretation of carved pew top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
Just been shown this and thought it might have some form of symbolism.
A couple of hounds with oak leaves and acorns.
Who's our resident carving/genealogy expert?
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_214900.jpg
    IMG_20201020_214900.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 52
Perhaps a pair of Chimera.

A mythical hybrid creature, part goat, part lion and a few other bits thrown in.
What this has to do with Christianity is beyond me, but it may have been part of a dedicated family pew with some armorial assocaitions.

Not convinced about Chimera as they usually have a Lion's mane and these appear to be wearing collars so I agree they are hounds. Acorns and oak leaves showing the oak tree usually symbolise strength, moral fortitude and knowledge. I agree that family / armorial associations are likely. Where is the pew in the aisle rankings in the church? Can it be associated with family internment plaques?

Not convinced about Chimera as they usually have a Lion's mane and these appear to be wearing collars so I agree they are hounds. Acorns and oak leaves showing the oak tree usually symbolise strength, moral fortitude and knowledge. I agree that family / armorial associations are likely. Where is the pew in the aisle rankings in the church? Can it be associated with family internment plaques?
Alas It's no longer in situ and the history of which church has been lost. Interesting insight about the oak.
Two parts have separated but it's salvageable.
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20201021_094712.jpg
    IMG_20201021_094712.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 18
That's a pity as without a reference point it will be difficult to identify the family link, possibly impossible. At worst it is a very nice curiosity. Do you own it now Andy? I would definitely find a use for that. (I have lots of old pieces of card oak that I plan to find a use for one day). Adrian

to me most likely to be familial crest to reserve pew in church for family use only

Would be useful to contact the Clerk Lyon to check crests or English equivillent.

Could be worth an email to the college of arms, they may have a record if it is part of a coat of arms.
Hope you can find something of it's history even if only to know where abouts it came from.

I am not sure that the college of arms is the best first call - there is not enough information on there to identify a family...
however, this link might be of interest: West Country Late Medieval Bench Ends - Centre for Early Modern Studies - University of Exeter
there is a project looking at pew ends... a lot of reference materials suggests that the medieval period was the height of this (as also seen on stone tombs where hunting dogs were a common addition), however, that doesn't negate the possibility that it has also been copied at a later date (e.g. victorian) - but it may well have quite a bit of age...

That's a pity as without a reference point it will be difficult to identify the family link, possibly impossible. At worst it is a very nice curiosity. Do you own it now Andy? I would definitely find a use for that. (I have lots of old pieces of card oak that I plan to find a use for one day). Adrian
Yes a very nice curiosity, which unfortunately isn't mine, well I say unfortunately but the plus side is I have the task/pleasure of incorporating it into a permanent piece of Covid prevention equipment (y):cool:
Hopefully be able to use up a bit more stash..... below \/ \/

Cheers Andy

Last edited:
I am not sure that the college of arms is the best first call - there is not enough information on there to identify a family...
however, this link might be of interest: West Country Late Medieval Bench Ends - Centre for Early Modern Studies - University of Exeter
there is a project looking at pew ends... a lot of reference materials suggests that the medieval period was the height of this (as also seen on stone tombs where hunting dogs were a common addition), however, that doesn't negate the possibility that it has also been copied at a later date (e.g. victorian) - but it may well have quite a bit of age...
Wow, looks like it'll be an interesting study, you gotta love a bit of ancient carving, in fact that reminds me to revisit and photograph a bit of Medieval panelling I have.
Cheers Andy

Back