Internet influenced vice purchase....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
I blame @TFrench
Honest, he made me do it :rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_200509.jpg
    IMG_20201023_200509.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20201023_200617.jpg
    IMG_20201023_200617.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20201023_200800.jpg
    IMG_20201023_200800.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20201023_200821.jpg
    IMG_20201023_200821.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20201023_200927.jpg
    IMG_20201023_200927.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 75
what re we looking at, presumably it has some age and rarity to it?

Its a peter wright patent parallel bench vice. Precursor to modern day record style vices - kind of a halfway house between a leg vice and a bench vice. Most blacksmithing manufacturers made one, but they didn't often put their name on for some reason. I've got a mousehole forge one and what I think is a Peter Wright, but its got no name on it.

Interesting that you (TF) say the maker's name is 'cast in' - it does look like it, although it just could be die forged in. In about 1890-1910 great play was made of the fact that this style of vice (Peter Wright of B'ham area and Mousehole Forge near Sheff) was all wrought (forged of true wrought iron) with hammer forged on steel faces and nut/box and screw. In the catalogues of the time they are considerably more expensive than the Parkinson-made cast iron vices of the same jaw width (the biggest UK vice-maker until Record and Woden took over).

If this part of the body is cast, which it looks like, maybe it's a later transitional version?

Anyhow -- great vice and v useable and interesting - what width jaw is it? -- they were made in a large range of sizes - I have a tiny 2 1/4 inch version, not cast, unfortunately no name.

Asked Robin Sharples (Mr Peter Wright) if cast or forged and in this instance it's cast.
It's a 4" and when I find my Peter Wright reprint catalogue I'll see how big they went to.
I was looking for your post @TFrench but a search for Peter Wright drew a blank....
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
That looks like the prime candidate for attaching vertically to a roughed up oak block, drilling a hole all the way through the screw and ball, and attaching a light fitting to sell in a boutique shop as a bedside lamp!

My well-thumbed copy of a reproduction of the Marples catalogue of 1909 shows Marples version of the wrought vice (undoubtedly made by Mousehole or Wright) in sizes from 4in wide jaws to 8in (the latter weighing 210lbs).

As a comparison, the 5in width jaw 'wrought T-bar' (ie as heading the thread, but all wrought) costs £4-15s, the 5in 'Handy' £2-14s and the 5in 'Instantaneous' £3-14s. Although marked Marples in the catalogue, the latter two were undoubtedly by Parkinson.

There is also an 'Eclipse' line looking a bit like the Handy with an anvil built in - I think Parkinson made a vices like this but not quite like the Marples engraving - anyone know more? I know that 'Eclipse'was later the James Neil brand of hacksaws and blades etc, but I've got a notion this is coincidence?

PS Trevanion - please don't encourage anyone to 'upcycle' good old vices - just a clean and lube and they're mostly fine for another century. Q: conserve, refurb, upcycle or steampunk? - discuss (in a different thread please) - Grommit votes for refurb.

Last edited:
What are your plans for it Andy?
Leave as it is, BLO or anything else ?

What are your plans for it Andy?
Leave as it is, BLO or anything else ?
Sadly cannot see much happening in the near future but a good clean with a heavy brush with a liberal oiling and a wipe clean with the dirtiest oily rag I have.
Not the Peter Wright reprint but a 1923 Buck & Hickman entry.
Cheers Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_001308.jpg
    IMG_20201025_001308.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20201025_001403.jpg
    IMG_20201025_001403.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 44
Top left in the box, I can see there is a part to fasten to a bench but what’s that – (looks a bit like crab claws ) underneath as well for?

Hi Peri, somebody spent a great deal of time on those vices, almost too fancy to be used, imo.

like them peri, but I guess the blacksmith's vices were never painted (all that hot metal and sparks) but maybe something like a stove blacking. Anyone use stove black (Imp brand?? in a tube) - brushes up well for a good sheen.

on the other hand they were also the universal workshop vice before about 1860 (along with all-wood vices) so maybe?

I noticed the 'crab claws' too - is it a wing nut for rotation? - fancy for a clamp on vice

Back