International Woodworking and Turning Exhibition, Stoneleigh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi All

Just loading the van (terrible job, especially knowing that we'll be unloading it tomorrow!) for the above show... not sure how many of you are coming along but hopefully we'll see some of you at our stand around midday?

We're trying out a new stand layout too, so any comments welcome!

Hi Terry,

Intend to be there Sunday, hope you have room for us, hate for us to crowd out the customers.

Make sure you reserve a bottle of acrylic lacquer for me on Sunday, Terry :D ! See you then.

Gill

Gill":2hn4cheq said:
Make sure you reserve a bottle of acrylic lacquer for me on Sunday, Terry :D ! See you then.

Gill

How do you get on with acrylic Gill, one of Terrys range that is not in my cupboard as yet, any special tips on it's use?

Hi Chas

I've never used it :) ! Acrylic lacquer isn't available locally and I'm loathe to pay P&P for a bottle from the likes of APTC when I can pick one up at Stoneleigh.

The only acrylic I've used before has been paint.

Gill

Chas
I've used Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer this very week for the first time. I was very pleasantly surprised. I've used water-based stuff before, and almost always been disappointed with the depth of colour. But I've just made a couple of trinket boxes in black walnut. I gave them several coats of Finishing Oil, but was getting impatient for a nice shine. So I waited a couple of days til it felt hard and tried the Acrylic Lacquer. (I can see Terry holding his head in his hands at this).

Very easy, very quick. Dries almost immediately. You need to spray a full coat, though, without being heavy. If the spray is too light, it dries before it has flowed out properly, and you get a rough finish.

The oil gives the black walnut good colour, and I would never have guessed that this finish was acrylic, if I hadn't done it myself. I just hope it stays intact!

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the replies Gill & Steve.

I guess I need to get some input from Terry, I currently do not have spray capability, is it wipeable/brushable?.
I am looking for a reasonable gloss to match a waxed finish that will stand the odd water splash without marking.

I have been using oils for any food use items that will stand a wet cloth wipe to clean, but am impatient on the coates required/time taken to get a gloss on similar items and am not to sure on wet splash durability/discoloration.

I was hoping to find something that would dry a little quicker than something like polyurethane.

Hi all

It was good to meet up with everybody at lunchtime. Forgive me if I have forgotten any names.

Gill, Chas, Dennis, Chris, Trevor, Frank and Terry.

Frank even let it slip that he wished he had a Leigh for dovetailing as it was so much easier than the 'rat. :shock: :lol:

I succumbed, along with another member, and bought an Airshield. I also got a really nice Freud 60T blade and some "Der Finest" lip and spur bits at 1.99 from Brimarc.

All in all, a fairly poorly attended show. There were also quite a number of the usual exhibitors missing.

Cheers
Neil

PS Gill, I think it's time I visited the bumker again before the ratters find me.

You're very welcome in the Bunker, Neil. I just hope the sight of a Leigh jig gathering dust in the corner won't trigger any unpleasant memories ;) :) .

I bought some number and alphabet templates for the router today :) . Pricey, but I should get some good use out of them.

Gill

Had a thoroughly enjoyable time at the show today. Good to see you all - Neil, Gill and His Lordship, Chas and Diane, Frank and Chris - sorry if I have missed any names - and thanks to Terry for his friendly welcome. Chas was right, we did on one occasion have to move away from the front of Terry's stand (Chestnut Products) to make room for other customers! Came home with several bags, a couple of boxes, and an empty wallet as usual.

When I first arrived I was tempted to dive into the British Veterinary Nurses Assosiation Congress in the building next door - those in attendance did just overall seem to be so much better looking (than most at our show)! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Well we made it home again despite a round about route via sutton coldfield for evening meal and a catch up on family gossip then had to fight traffic jams on the M5 after an accident at Droitwich, but all in all a pleasant day out despite as Neil said a disappointing reduction in exhibitors, guess the new owners are pricing the trade out of the venue. Got the advice I needed off Terry so that I could add to my collection of his products with a little more knowledge on how to use them, and found a few other bits and pieces that we were looking for whilst picking the brains of the demonstrators.

Hope you get to use your new toy in the near future Trevor, I'm sure Gill will keep prodding. :)

Newbie_Neil":28ir81mp said:
Frank even let it slip that he wished he had a Leigh for dovetailing as it was so much easier than the 'rat. :shock: :lol:
Neil, it's not you that needs the bunker... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Sounds like quite a party yesterday! I met Terry and Taz on Friday.

Did anyone get the names of the makers of the motorbike and the large hollow-form lace vessels?

Thanks,
Steve

Back