Internal reading Tape measure.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Any recommendations?
At the moment I am looking at the Stanley Top reader but it has it's shortcomings as well as being the priciest model.

I am trying to avoid doing the math of adding on the body of the tape, not only does it involve the sums but it is also unclear where you read on the tape depending on the model.

Hultafirs talmeter has an internal measuring feature. I can't lay my hands on mine at the moment to take a pic.

Another vote for the Hultafor, only bought it two months ago but have needed it constantly since. Never realised the number of internal measures I do, it’s accuracy for that is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1 for the Hultafors, although I wish the tape end was somewhat different - the pointy bits are there for a reason, but they're scary sharp.

The one I have has both measures on it, with the extending bit out I just read the red numbers

boardgamer":3lncadbs said:
True, not direct read, but with the bendy arm extended, you simply add 100mm (exactly!) to the reading, so it's pretty easy.

Yeah that's not what I want, I want something like the Stanley where you just read the measurement directly with a clear marker.

boardgamer":3omcln52 said:
Red numbers? What red numbers?!

<Goes to workshop to get tape>

Ooooh! :oops:

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boardgamer":30r3oczd said:
+1 for the Hultafors, although I wish the tape end was somewhat different - the pointy bits are there for a reason, but they're scary sharp.

The pointy bits are a great timesaver.

In my defence, I don't think the tape came with a manual, (and being a real man, I wouldn't have read it if it did). So how was I supposed to know what the red numbers meant? :-"

Attachments

• 20190727_080747.jpg
    20190727_080747.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 578
I just had a 3 meter Festool internal reading tape measure just delivered yesterday and I really like it. Very easy to read scales and accurate internal readings.

Also has a useful compass function to mark out circles based on the internal measurement set. Just flip out the green bit (which has a compass point on it) and use a pen in the small hole at the 1" mark to scribe a circle with whatever radius the internal reading is set to.

Tape1.JPG

Tape2.JPG

I got mine from Amazon for £10.95

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Festool-495415 ... 142&sr=8-5

Attachments

• Tape1.JPG
    Tape1.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 373
  • Tape2.JPG
    Tape2.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 373
Do these type of tapes rely on the tape being coiled up tight each time ? I could definitely see a use for them in my own work or just wonder what the accuracy is like.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":p6ny092l said:
Do these type of tapes rely on the tape being coiled up tight each time ? I could definitely see a use for them in my own work or just wonder what the accuracy is like.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There's not a lot of Festool kit you can get for a tenner however like all Festool kit it is extremely well thought out, designed, and engineered to work just as it should. The internal spring which retracts the tape keeps enough tension on the tape to eliminate any slack when taking a reading. I checked an internal reading taken with the tape against one taken with a rigid meter rule and it was bang on.

Back