Interlocking lattice work for Morrocan style screen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
As part of a bedroom remodel, the customer wants some lattice work in doors and on a bed head. They want to combine a moroccan flavour with a jerusalem cross symbol. The lattice work would be as panels set into the boards (MDF) for bedhead/doors etc, with a sort of frame around each panel that overlaps the hole in the board. All to be painted.

Not a woven lattice, but lots of sticks with half lap joints.

Any advice please on type of wood, and dimensions of the sticks. In places on the bedhead they want to tie cushions onto the lattice work, and lean against it, so needs to be fairly strong.

Attachments

• Lattice work.jpg
    Lattice work.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 302
Is Tulipwood quite strong? I know it paints well and is quite fine grained and not too expensive - so sounds like a good suggestion, thanks. I'm working on the drawings and assembly process, I'll post another image soon...

OK, so here's the design. I've gone for 21mm square stock for the parts making up the cross, and 14mm square for the general lattice work. My thinking was to reduce machine setup, to keep router cuts to the same depth (7mm) as much as possible for the half lap joints and the reduction of the large stock to the smaller size.

Attachments

• Lattice work assembled.jpg
    Lattice work assembled.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Lattice work Assembly 4.jpg
    Lattice work Assembly 4.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Lattice work Assembly 3.jpg
    Lattice work Assembly 3.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Lattice work Assembly 2.jpg
    Lattice work Assembly 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Lattice work Assembly 1.jpg
    Lattice work Assembly 1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Lattice work All Parts.jpg
    Lattice work All Parts.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 249
trumpetmonkey":3ior206b said:
Is Tulipwood quite strong? I know it paints well and is quite fine grained and not too expensive - so sounds like a good suggestion, thanks. I'm working on the drawings and assembly process, I'll post another image soon...

I think it would be suitable. Is is quite resistant to warping and is fairly straight grained but not a 'hard' hardwood. As you say it paints well and is easy to work.

But, I am no expert so some research would be the order of the day.

I am using it at the moment to make the hidden parts of a small cherry chest I am working on.

Mick

For anyone interested, here are some more drawings. As you can see I've gone to a lot of effort detailing the jerusalem cross lattice - however to save costs, we may have to stick the cross feature onto a simple lattice. I hope not as it would be a shame! The coloured dimensioned parts are shown in their positions on the colour coded diagram on the earlier post.

Attachments

• Lattice part H.jpg
    Lattice part H.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Lattice parts F and G.jpg
    Lattice parts F and G.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Lattice parts CDE.jpg
    Lattice parts CDE.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Lattice parts A and B.jpg
    Lattice parts A and B.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Main Drawing.jpg
    Main Drawing.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 180
And here is a better view of the headboard design (doors design has changed a little since this drawing)

Attachments

• Jane & Graham bedroom detail.jpg
    Jane & Graham bedroom detail.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 183
Update - the job is going ahead! I have subcontracted a cabinet maker friend of mine to make the lattice panels, then I will install them in the bedhead I wil be making along with the other bits and pieces. Picture of the first test piece is attached, but you can see more at my friend's blog site:
http://reubenswoodcrafts.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/you-square/

Attachments

• latice-work-reubens-woodcrafts.jpg
    latice-work-reubens-woodcrafts.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 137
Reuben sensibly decided to make a simple lattice, then make the jerusalem cross separately and route channels in the back to fit over the lattice. Making all the components as per my design would have been a bit of a nightmare...

Making progress! Any comments welcome if you like it!

Attachments

• DSC00333.jpg
    DSC00333.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00332.jpg
    DSC00332.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00315.jpg
    DSC00315.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00314.jpg
    DSC00314.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00312.jpg
    DSC00312.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00309.jpg
    DSC00309.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 100
It's made and fitted at last! Still got to be painted.

Attachments

• DSC00431.jpg
    DSC00431.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00429.jpg
    DSC00429.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back