Interior staining finish for use on softwood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I rarely use stains or paint/varnish and so on.

To finish the handrails I'm fitting to the staircase, I was thinking of 'Sadolin', instead of a gloss paint. Sadolin though is an exterior stain and I don't want the rails to look like garden furniture.
(I might go to the expense of hardwood, if nothing suits what I have in mind. I.e., a mid-oak colour, using brass hardware.)

Any recommendations for a staining translucent finish?

Stain plus wax?
Some kind of staining, varnish?

Any pointers gratefully received.
Thanks in anticipation :D

Sadolin and Sikkens do an interior range.
I used a clear acrylic satin finish varnish on some interior doors successfully for many years.

Rod

Harbo":1atm20wt said:
Sadolin and Sikkens do an interior range.
I used a clear acrylic satin finish varnish on some interior doors successfully for many years.

Rod

Thanks for that Rod.
I'll take a look at the Interior Sadolin. I always got on well with their exterior products.

Thanks again :)

I used Ronseal water based stain and varnish, and it was actually very good - I don't like their stuff much, generally.
( rather reminds me of the old joke that it didn't say on the tin that it would make your front door look like an african elephant had wiped it's #rse on it)

phil.p":27q9jubb said:
I used Ronseal water based stain ............... it didn't say on the tin that it would make your front door look like an african elephant had wiped it's #rse on it)

Well, I shan't be sliding down these handrails, so... NP! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Phil :)

What you will have to keep in mind when staining wood which is going to get a lot of handling is that when the finish wears through, and it will , it will start to look patchy and will be difficult to restore. If it were me I would go for a timber that will give you the look you are after, so if you want it to look like oak, use oak not pine, after all the only difference in the cost is the extra you will be paying for the oak and over the lifetime of a handrail this will be negligible.

Hi Percy and welcome to the Forum.

Everything you say is true. But hopefully these handrails are a temporary measure, to help both myself and Lady Benchwayze to get up the stair, whilst we wait for knee replacements. So I don't expect them all to be in place for more than three years.

I have considered buying some oak or ash, but that would be a waste, unless I leave the rails installed. The stairs are just household width, and permanent double rails, although useful, don't leave much space.

On the other hand, we are both well over pensionable age and... Well maybe with the NHS as it is, we might never get our knee-replacements, and I will be leaving the removal of the rails to someone else! :( So, yes, oak/ash and brass would look the business, of course!

:lol:

Back