Interesting plane on eBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
9c_1_sbl.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6219523375

Bean":3nwbsu1n said:
Could it be a broken rebate plane ??
No, no. [-X It's an "expertly machined" bullnose converted to a chisel plane. Didn't you read the blurb? :lol: The opening bid seems a bit optimistic even for an unbroken example. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":199y3xqj said:
Bean":199y3xqj said:
No, no. [-X It's an "expertly machined" bullnose converted to a chisel plane. Didn't you read the blurb? :lol: The opening bid seems a bit optimistic even for an unbroken example. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I'm guessing that those old planes weren't made out of ductile cast iron? :shock: :lol:

There was a very handy plane at collage that had a removable front to make it into a chisel plane , not seen one since .

All right, newbie gives in! What's wrong with this plane? What are you suspicious of?

evie

Evie, it's a reasonable question. It should be more like this. Not so much suspicion, as sure and certain knowledge. :wink:

JFC, any of these by any chance?

Cheers, Alf

Ah. Broken off the front. I see now. And then cleaned up a bit. Does that often happen to those kind of planes? And (OK) what is the original for -- I see the blade sticks out all the way to the edges, so ... is it a shoulder plane? for the shoulders of tenons & stuff like that?

No, I went to blood & gore & it says it's a bull-nose rabbet plane. Which actually leaves me no more the wiser, except with a sort of horrifying animal image. A rabbet plane, I should think, is useful for cutting those narrow grooves (or are they dadoes?) on the edges of the piece of work. I think that's what a rabbet is. Maybe a rabbet is just a dado. But anyway, I don't know why you might want it to be bull-nosed.

AND, B&G says: "The toe section can be removed completely from the plane so that it can be used as a chisel plane. Stanley, in their tool propoganda, claimed that with the plane configured as a chisel plane it was useful for the removal of dried glue. There are better ways to remove that than to use this plane. However, the plane does function nicely as a chisel plane and is particularly useful when working rabbeted frames, where the stiles and rails join." So, perhaps it isn't broken but the "toe section" has been lost? In which case it might be fairly described as "expertly machined"...

question girl tries to look things up but she doesn't understand the answers.

evie":2eqsex7v said:
Ah. Broken off the front. I see now. And then cleaned up a bit. Does that often happen to those kind of planes?
Given that the bridge between the nose and the body of the plane is quite thin, I'm surprised we don't see it more often.

And (OK) what is the original for -- I see the blade sticks out all the way to the edges, so ... is it a shoulder plane? for the shoulders of tenons & stuff like that?
Sort of. Because it has a vestigial nose, it's difficult to use as a shoulder or rebate plane. It's purpose in life is to work a stopped rebate or dado, like, erm.... this:

bullnosestop.jpg

In fact you might find the whole review helpful.

No, I went to blood & gore & it says it's a bull-nose rabbet plane. Which actually leaves me no more the wiser, except with a sort of horrifying animal image.
:lol: I know what you mean. :lol:

A rabbet plane, I should think, is useful for cutting those narrow grooves (or are they dadoes?) on the edges of the piece of work.
Curiously enough, they're rabbets, or rebates in this country. (Yes, confusing terminology changes depending on the country #-o )

Maybe a rabbet is just a dado.
Nope. A rebate or rabbet is worked on the edge of the work and has one side. A dado or housing is a groove or trench across the grain with two sides.

But anyway, I don't know why you might want it to be bull-nosed.
See pic above. Could be you never do, but when you do it saves an awful lot of chisel work. For some people it's just a generally all-round handy plane style to have about the place.

AND, B&G says: "The toe section can be removed completely from the plane so that it can be used as a chisel plane.
Not the #90J IIRC. That has a fixed mouth. Unless it's broken... That is to say, a fixed toe as part of the whole body casting.

Confusing, ain't it? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Bean wrote:

No, no. It's an "expertly machined" bullnose converted to a chisel plane. Didn't you read the blurb? The opening bid seems a bit optimistic even for an unbroken example.

Yeah Expertly :roll: :^o

Bean

Back