Interesting panel cutting system, what do you think?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
It certainly looks interesting. I would recommend asking for views and reviews on all the USA fora before spending that much on an unknown product though.

There have been a lot of posts recently about panel cutting devices. I'm wondering what's wrong with a router seated in a housing jig. It'd be adequate for most needs and much cheaper than these gadgets, I'd have thought.

Now, form an orderly queue - you'll all get a chance to put me right ;) :) .

Gill (
Tin+hat+smiley.gif
Diving for cover in the bunker...)

Gill":1rl2mi6g said:
I'm wondering what's wrong with a router seated in a housing jig. It'd be adequate for most needs and much cheaper than these gadgets, I'd have thought.

Not sure what you are getting at there, Gill. I'm thinking of using this system for cutting panels, I know you can mount routers on it but I'm mostly interested in using a Festool saw

John

Woodfella":3lr6euu9 said:
This unit works in the horizontal and stores in the vertical.
If you are using the festool guide system, build this easy
setup saw horse system. Save a ton. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/f...fea.asp?id=1104
I hope this helps.
Per

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/featu ... sp?id=1104

This is the correct link

I'm sure it would be useful to others, but I already have an 8x4 cutting table. The reason I am interested in the system in question is the apparently very accurate positioning of the saw guides. I cut a lot of panels and make a lot of cabinets and have been looking for a more accurate and quicker system than repeated measuring and cutting to the line

John

If space is not a issue, nor cost. I am sure the panel king is
a good tool. But, I also do this for a living and in a production atmosphere.
I do do not like to work in the horizontal. I would spend my money here.
This is the highest rated saw in the US. http://www.sawtrax.com

I again, hope this helps.
Per

Interesting john,
ideal for the festool saw. would be interesting on the floor area it really takes. clever piece of kit though. pity festool dont do similar. It doesnt look all that difficult to make. getting a small fab shop to make the stucture and cradle and use something like kongs cnc router travel rails and you have what could be a good custom setup with step by step build pics.
I'm with woodfella though, my back cant take working on the horizontal for to long and i dont like stretching over if i have long cuts. Vertical Panel saw for me also.

Ian

looks just like your idea that you floated on the forum a while back to fit your festool in some guides John.
$2.5K seems a lot of money but then, you would probably spend a lot of money and time building your orgiinal idea

I would suspect that it would be ideal for your work :wink:

Vertical panel saws have never appealed to me, although I know many people like them. They look like a bad back waiting to happen, having to bend down to lift pieces off the machine, then there's the problems with the kerk closing up on rip cuts. Still, I am 6'4" so reaching most of the way across a horizontal 8x4 table is no problem.

The tilting table is ingenious, though isn't the part that appealed to me, I'm more interested in the saw control aspects.

I find ripping with the long guide to be straigh forward and accurate, it's the cross cutting that causes the problems

Funny you should mention my previous idea Tony. I dug my drawings out and had another look at the idea, and it still has considerable appeal. One thing I've been finding with the Festool MFT ( a purpose built crosscutting table, limited to about 600mm cross cut) is that it is difficult to keep it perfectly square, and when preparing two cabinet sides of say 750mm by 575mm, it's all too easy to end up with rhombus shapes with as much as 1.5mm difference

The idea that I had before, the crosscut fence driven by two leadscrews one at the front and one at the rear of the table, with an interconnecting timing drive, is the one solution I can think of that guarantees parallel cuts. Everything else is, basically, a T square of some kind, and needs to be extremely rigid to be accurate.

Table saw fences don't need to be as accurate because even if they are slightly out you are still going to get a parallel cut, not so with the Festool system

So I might be looking for a couple of three metre lenghts ot M6 studding after all
John

Back