Interesting Items?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought a microscope and some other scientific instruments at auction the other day and these were at the bottom of the box.
fuse-a.jpg

They have turned out to be a bit of a find, any thoughts before I tell all?
Cheers
Martin[/url]

NFI, but I'm intrigued. I can't begin to guess.

Spot on, even spelt correctly, me old Smudge! :)
They turn out to be Victorian prototype artillery fuzes, top three are variations on the Armstrong fuze but the bottom three have got the boffins a bit stumped, I have shown these to the Tank Museum and my local Army camp ATO (Ammunition Technical Officer) who says he has never seen such quality work in such an old fuze.
Various collectors in Europe and over here are showing interest in them so will wait and see how they go.
Chers,
martin

Difficult to make even an educated? guess without seeing them for real but they're obviously half-sections of something, could be valves of some sort I guess or steam ejectors maybe?

Judging by the threads and the material thicknesses they certainly would appear to be for fairly high pressure applications. :?

Comes from an interest in WW1 artillery, and a mate who worked at the IWM and wrote on WW1. I've got a couple of fuzes I picked up at the Somme and Boezenghe somewhere.
It was fuzes that led to the disaster of the first day of the Somme and also the victory in the Hundred Days campaign, of course. Was it the Type 88 that was the good one? I'll look it up.

For someone who is so clearly lacking in Historic education, please can we have an explanation of what a fuze is? I'm guessing something to do with bombs? Simply what we know as the fuse? Or the detonator?

wizer":2gdb7vqk said:
For someone who is so clearly lacking in Historic education, please can we have an explanation of what a fuze is? I'm guessing something to do with bombs? Simply what we know as the fuse? Or the detonator?

The fuze is the small bangy bit that makes the big bangy bit go bang.
Several different types - time, altitude, contact, grazing etc.

Time fuzes used on big bangy-bangies (heavy artillery, where the shell will be in the air for a number of seconds), altitude fuzes for shrapnel (which are small musket balls, not splinters of shell casing which are called shell splinters) which go bang at a certain height on their way down, contact and grazing fuzes which go off when they hit something.

It was the failure of grazing fuzes which caused (or played a big part in) the losses on the first day of the Somme. Instead of acting when they hit the barbed wire they penetrated the earth before exploding, meaning that the wire was blown upwards, but not cut, and landed in a worse tangle than before. Usually shrapnel shells were used to try to cut wire, but later in the war more sensitive and faster-acting grazing fuzes were able to do the job much more effectively.

When shells were referred to as 'dud' it usually meant that the fuze was faulty in some way, which when you take one apart and look at it isn't surprising, given the stresses involved. How to make a sensitive enough fuze to explode on first contact with mud which doesn't go off due to g-forces when fired out of a cannon? Tricky...

I had some doubts about my guess about valves 'cos there are only threads on one end, so if something gets in that end how does it get out? Then I thought pressure relief valves? But no springs. :?

Then I thought "I haven't a bleedin' clue!" :roll:

Smudger":2re103lt said:
wizer":2re103lt said:

The fuze is the small bangy bit that makes the big bangy bit go bang.

Cheers Dick, that was about my level ;)

ok so next question. If these make the bangy things make the big bangy things go bang. Why the fancy case? Or has this been added after by a c*llector?

wizer":2tgkaqxa said:
ok so next question. If these make the bangy things make the big bangy things go bang. Why the fancy case? Or has this been added after by a c*llector?

Given that they're also sectional cutaways of round items, I'm guessing engineering samples...

They look like Instructional models, cutaway of course. Depth Charge 'Hydro-operated fuses/fuzes (Hydrostatically operated detonator switches) maybe,

Very similar, although It's 40 years since I saw any.

I see they are considerably earlier than me then! :lol:
And yes I did spell Fuse incorrectly :oops:

John :?:

Popular term for shell = bangy bangy
Big shell = big bangy bangy
Fuze = little bangy bangy

So the little bangy bangy 'splodes the big bangy bangy. Bang!

As opposed to sharp things.

"Artillery lends dignity and elegance to what would otherwise be an unseemly brawl"

Back