Interesting and sad...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How sad.

There is some nice kit in there, too. Wish I had time and space.

Now who was it who used to have a Mandril as an avatar? Apparently there is a whole troupe of them in this auction, together, presumably, with a lot of printer's equipment ("wordworking machinery").

Some of the descriptions are ridiculous, which seems to be usual for the auction industry.

NP, just me being facetious, with the debate about the rules going on. I do have a bid in but it never bothers me for others to know

due to covid and being shileded I have grown a lot of veg and need to store it somehow. Thought I's make me own tincans

Easy to get sucked in. Commission at 18% including VAT plus 20% VAT on the hammer price, has a big impact.

Is PDS applying a 20-percent VAT on the hammer price in addition to the VAT on the commission? I've been buying from UK auction houses for a long time, and the VAT is only applied to the commission. The terms for this sale show a buyer's premium of 15-percent, plus VAT, which is the effective premium of 18 percent you stated. Other than collection, there shouldn't be any additional costs for the buyer in this auction.

The terms of the auction says all lots except zero rated items are subject to vat on the hammer price.
That would be correct if the company the goods came from was vat registered.

Yes. I read the T&Cs and it would appear that buyers are in for 38% additional charges in most cases. Which is why I posted to ensure members here who may be considering bidding, are aware of the costs.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that, and the warning is appreciated.

By the way, if this auction is open to just anyone, the assumption ought to be it's consumer. Thus whilst the buyer's premium (iniquitous, but that's another matter) attracts VAT, the hammer price arguably shouldn't (meaning the seller splits out the VAT component themselves). The tax-not-included thing is American, and whilst arguably better, I wasn't aware it was usual here, for consumer transactions.

lot 70, and the next few lots after that...

what are these used for?

Used as hand driven horizontal borers for big bits of wood in oak frame buildings etc

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that, and the warning is appreciated.

By the way, if this auction is open to just anyone, the assumption ought to be it's consumer. Thus whilst the buyer's premium (iniquitous, but that's another matter) attracts VAT, the hammer price arguably shouldn't (meaning the seller splits out the VAT component themselves). The tax-not-included thing is American, and whilst arguably better, I wasn't aware it was usual here, for consumer transactions.

The assumption is that auctions are generally B2B even if open to anyone. The American way is frustrating especially in NYC because some shops include tax and some don't but there's no way of telling until you pay.

Yes. I read the T&Cs and it would appear that buyers are in for 38% additional charges in most cases. Which is why I posted to ensure members here who may be considering bidding, are aware of the costs.

I have never paid VAT on the hammer price from any UK auction house, only on the buyer's premium, so I asked PDS about the VAT. Sam replied and stated some items, such as children's clothing and used vehicles are exempt from VAT, but everything else is subject to VAT. He confirmed the VAT applies to the buyer's premium and the hammer price. As an example, he stated the buyer will pay £690 for an auction lot with a £500 hammer price.

Latest posts

Back