Intercom / Monitors etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 young kids and my wife is currently out a lot for evening meetings etc. (no jokes please!!)

Whilst I can potter around in the garden at the back of the house, if I go any further (shed is at far end of garden) I can't hear anything from inside the house any more.

A lot of weeks I can't get out to the shed on any evening after work. Has anyone had good experiences of something like a baby monitor that works over 20 metres or so? We had the traditional type before, but they were a bit rubbish, and I don't want to get them as my shed is on an extension lead, run from a spur etc. and I don't have much hope that it will work over the mains carrier wave thingy that they use.

Wi-fi doesn't extend that far either. Just be nice to get out there and do stuff, but be able to hear if one of them is awake, has had a nightmare or is coughing etc. etc. Might consider a wi-fi booster if that is the only way.

Any ideas?? Anyone used anything that might solve this?

I don't have any specifics, but I would have thought that a wifi enabled camera/monitor linking to your phone would do the job. My mate has one that he can check up on the dog whilst he is at work. The wifi link is between the camera and the house, not the camera and the phone.

I think given you don't have Wifi, you could try finding an app using your 4G mobile data - do you get good reception in the garden?

If you have a 'smart' phone and mobile data plan...

WYZE cam. from Amazon.com (U.S.) around 30 quid delivered. free app for phone, free cloud storage.
Gets alerts and recordings sent to your phone on movement or audio trigger. has 2 way audio so you can talk through the camera.
The camera is powered via USB power supply and connects to your wifi. sends notifications to phone app. you can view and listen at any time from phone. very simple to operate.

About a fiver more gets a pan and tilt camera !

I got a £16 BT baby monitor when my little boy was born, and it was brilliant - good battery life & great audio quality, and I've popped to the neighbours 2 doors down without any reception issues.

Latest posts

Back