Interchangeability of Stanley Totes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
Are the Totes on Stanley hand planes interchangeable?

I have a #8 plane which has a damaged tote.

Can it be replaced with that of another model?

Is there a list of tote interchangeability?

Afaik, there are only two sizes to cover the common bench planes.
The smaller one on the 3, 4 and 5 has just the central threaded rod. A larger one, for the wider half sizes and the 7, has an extra fixing screw at the front. I don't have an 8 so can't check but I expect it's the same.

AndyT":2hbqotrf said:
Afaik, there are only two sizes to cover the common bench planes.
The smaller one on the 3, 4 and 5 has just the central threaded rod. A larger one, for the wider half sizes and the 7, has an extra fixing screw at the front. I don't have an 8 so can't check but I expect it's the same.
Andy (and ZippityNZ) I think you'll find the No.5 also has the larger tote (with extra fixing screw). So, from memory, the 8, 7, 6, 5, 5 1/2 & 4 1/2 all have the same size tote. The 3 & 4 share a different size. Then there's the No. 2 size and the No.1 size (that's four sizes). Then there's the 5 1/4, 10, & 10 1/2 (I think all three have the No.3 & 4 size - but need to check that). The 10 1/4 has it's own special tote.

I think I need to get out more...

Cheers, Vann.

Vann, if the no 1, no 2 and the 10 1/4 are all "common bench planes" can you send over some of your surplus?! :D :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for the correction on the no 5 - another plane I don't have!

You can make a new one it's only a piece of wood.
The difficult bit is the hole but if you drill the countes bore first then the through hole from both ends it's not to difficult

Pete

Back