Intelliplug

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would it do, if I just wired a 13 amp plug which becomes live when the saw is turned on and plug the vac in to that?
When saw switch is activated, saw and vac start.
I can't see how this would work at all, you are trying to do what the intelliplug did (badly it seems) without any of the circuitry of the intelliplug. Unless I'm missing something? I'm not sure what sort of budget your working with but maybe you'd be better of investing in a shop vac with intergrated plug?

I can't see how this would work at all, you are trying to do what the intelliplug did (badly it seems) without any of the circuitry of the intelliplug. Unless I'm missing something? I'm not sure what sort of budget your working with but maybe you'd be better of investing in a shop vac with intergrated plug?
Budget isn't the thing.
Obviously I'm not going to spend a grand, but a simple solution is often the best.

I am wondering if a shop vac would last, driving a table saw?

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacmaster-Vacuum-Cleaner-Purpose-Blower/dp/B004B9TK48
from the blurb "
Power Take Off
Integrated 240V power take-off socket for cleaning your work space as you sand or drill. Plug in your power tool and connect up the suction hose to start extracting dust. Operate the vacuum cleaner from the power switch on your tool"

don't know anything about this vac, but on paper I think it does what you need. If you were to go down this route I'm sure many others would be able to give you first hand recomendations

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacmaster-Vacuum-Cleaner-Purpose-Blower/dp/B004B9TK48
from the blurb "
Power Take Off
Integrated 240V power take-off socket for cleaning your work space as you sand or drill. Plug in your power tool and connect up the suction hose to start extracting dust. Operate the vacuum cleaner from the power switch on your tool"

don't know anything about this vac, but on paper I think it does what you need. If you were to go down this route I'm sure many others would be able to give you first hand recomendations
My saw is rated 2100 w do you think this would handle it?

My saw is rated 2100 w do you think this would handle it?
no, I don't think this one would (q and a sections mentions 1.4k as the maximum take off) but I expect others might well. Suggest you start a new thread asking for recommendations the alternative of course to look for a workshop rated variation on the intelliplug, but expect to pay more.

For my dust extraction I have a switched fused spur (as the master power switch for the vacuum) which feeds a 240v 40A-rated 433MHz remote control relay which switches power to the vacuum i.e. Power Switch --> Remote Control Relay --> Vacuum

The remote control relay came with a couple of small 2-button (ON/OFF) keyfob remote controls and I hang one around my neck on a very short lanyard (so it can't get caught in anything) and just press the buttons to start/stop the extraction - it's manual on/off rather than automatic but, for me, it works very well. Relay including remotes plus a small ABS box to house it cost in the region of £25

Read that just a minute ago.
There must be something like that which could be triggered by the saw being switched on?
Possibly but as vacs take a second or so to reach full suction I've found that if, say, I'm making a cut with my tracksaw, I can get everything lined up and ready to go, reach up to my neck to start the vac then by the time I've put my hand back on the saw the suction's at full. It also allows me to decide the run-on time of the vac depending on the tool I'm using - virtually nothing for sanders but longer for the track saw or mitre saw

There's no single solution that will work for everyone as people have different working habits and expectations - I'm happy when I find something that works 'well enough' for 99% of the time ;-)

Read that just a minute ago.
There must be something like that which could be triggered by the saw being switched on?
What sort of connection would you expect from any of your machines, through to some sort of switch to apply power to the shopvac?
In Arties article, he is using wifi/bluetooth to control a high current relay? I.e. not connected to his machine?

Years ago when I was very young and had hair and a full mouth of teeth. I was the proud owner of a Ford Capri, the pinnacle of my expectations.
Not being content with the illuminations provided by Henry, I added 4 Cie Bie (sp) spotlights which drew a high number of amps.
To keep the head light wires from melting I wired the spotlights through a fuse and relay directly to the battery.
I then connected the relay to the main beam.
Only a very small current was required to activate the relay, which in turn activated the spots and brightly shone the way ahead.
Isn't there a way to do similar in this situation?

How would it do, if I just wired a 13 amp plug which becomes live when the saw is turned on and plug the vac in to that?
in theory this should work provided the vac/extractor doesn’t have an NVR. However, remember you have to take the power feed for the vac after the switch on the saw and the saw switch will now be passing the current for the saw and the vac. At best this could limit the life of the switch and worse it might blow any fuse or activate any overload trip that might be fitted to it.

The AC current sensing switch is a clever device. When you pass one line of the sensed AC through the hole in the switch, it generates enough power internally to control a solid state switch and hence close K1 to K2, but it can't handle much of a load, so you might have to use it to drive a relay capable of higher loads. This would also give better isolation from mains voltage. Solid state switches are susceptible to damage by spikes. I wouldn't use this, but if I did, I would put it in a fused earthed metal box and use the device to drive a double pole mains relay. The box would have a master socket and a slave socket. My Nilfisk Alto vacuum has a current sensed switched socket which is rated at 1800W Max.

The AC current sensing switch is a clever device. When you pass one line of the sensed AC through the hole in the switch, it generates enough power internally to control a solid state switch and hence close K1 to K2, but it can't handle much of a load, so you might have to use it to drive a relay capable of higher loads. This would also give better isolation from mains voltage. Solid state switches are susceptible to damage by spikes. I wouldn't use this, but if I did, I would put it in a fused earthed metal box and use the device to drive a double pole mains relay. The box would have a master socket and a slave socket. My Nilfisk Alto vacuum has a current sensed switched socket which is rated at 1800W Max.
This is the route I decided to go down, waiting patiently on parts arriving from Amazon.

Planning to use a solid state device with snubber circuit.

Also FYI the intelliplug has died. Probably not up to long term use.

Also FYI the intelliplug has died. Probably not up to long term use.
I had just been looking for an Intelliplug for a friend. I had paid £5.20 back in June 2020, not sure if it would work and it has worked, very well for me. I've never used it for long periods of time only the odd mitre saw or bandsaw cut. Just turn on the saw and 5 seconds later the vacuum tarts up.
I just found it at Amazon for £12.50
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ONE-CLIC...=1&keywords=intelliplug&qid=1616513932&sr=8-5

Back