Intelliplug

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
In a previous post I extolled the virtues of the intelliplug.
Designed to save energy by switching off peripheral PC or TV devices when the main unit is switched off, but rated high enough to drive a table saw and switch the duct extraction.
An interesting thing has happened, now when I switch on the saw the extractor does not kick in until I actually start cutting.
Further, should I stop cutting and let the saw run, the extractor stops, only to start again when I put a load on the saw.

Perhaps triggered by current draw on the saw, insufficient when free running?
Any manufacturers literature?
Yes it must be,
Only literature was a small leaflet showing where to plug in the saw etc.

For the first few days I used it, it came on a few seconds after the saw and continued a few seconds after.

It'll do the way it is, but just wondered if they all do this. Can't imagine how a PC or TV would activate it, if a table doesn't unless under load.

Is there anything on the plug to adjust at all? If not I would say its likely a tiny surface mounted component on a printed circuit board within the plug, and therefore pretty tricky to address (i imagine it would be a sealed unit anyway, you'd probably need to open it with a dremel and then it would be useless anyway). It would be worth seeing how the plug behaves with other kit, though it doesn't sound like the saw is the issue, it might be that the differing draw of other machines will work better. Probably a replacement plug

Hi

If it was designed for Pc and Tv devices I would say that the obvious problem is the motor startup current and then the running current may still be excessive. You may have destroyed it! A better option would be a sensor that either detects magnetic field on the motor body or better a device that senses the current being drawn on the live feed. A much simpler solution is to just manually switch the extractor on/off and if it is in another area then get a wireless switch and remote. Below is a link to a current sensing switch but you will need to use it to drive the extractor via a relay or small contactor as it is rated at only 0.5 amp load.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Current-Sensing-Normally-Adjustable-SZC23-NO-AL-CH/dp/B07N7965V1

I would add that doing this with highly inductive loads, such as big-ish mains motors, requires careful design and is more expensive to make than the things intended for home use (yes, I do the same thing myself at the moment!). I intend to rebuild mine so the relay in the electronic switch is only used to switch a bigger relay, doing the extractor. In my case it's driven by a hand remote, but the technology is exactly the same.

If they could be built cheaply they would be sold cheaply, but if you look at, say, Axminster's kit for doing similar things, it is _much_ more expensive than the "hifi" ones. I haven't looked inside one, but I doubt it's because they are price gouging.

I’ve tried a few of these types of devices over the years & they’ve never stood the test of time in my workshop, but in fairness they aren’t designed for what is heavy use.
The last one if left in standby though not in anyway connected to the spindle moulder or circular saw would activate when the electric brake cut in when the stop button was depressed on either of these machines triggering the vacuum to switch on for the mitre saw.

Try it with a low current tool (power drill? Dremel) - if it doesn't start -I'd suggest sale of goods act return.
I'll try it with something else and see what happens.
I won't return it or complain, as it was possibly my unorthodox use that messed it up.

My system is to have both the vac and the tool run out from a double socket extension, I leave the vac switched on so the wall becomes the switch, I know if the vac is going that the tool is live and i should refrain from sticking my fingers in it etc. the tool in question is mostly either a chop saw or a circular saw.

As a note, I gather from time to time remote devices can be triggered accidently by frequencies from car remotes, tv remotes etc. Something to be wary of

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Current-Se...ZC23-NO-AL-CH/dp/B07N7965V1?tag=forumyield-20
Is an interesting product, but be careful, this product has conflicting information in the Amazon description. It states that the unit is "Waterproof: IP30" The 3 indicates protection against tools and thick wires >2.5mm and the 0 indicates no protection against liquid ingress. Looking at the product, it looks like the screw contacts will be live if you are switching a mains load, so can't be a '3' and it is impossible to have a "Waterproof" IP30 product. Since live terminals are exposed, it has no protection against liquid ingress, but at least they have the IP code '0' correct, but it is absolutely NOT waterproof. IP00. In addition, it doesn't appear to have CE approval for safety or EMC. Under the wrong conditions, this product could be very lethal, so if you use it, just be aware.

How would it do, if I just wired a 13 amp plug which becomes live when the saw is turned on and plug the vac in to that?

my vac has a socket built in which I assume is supposed to turn on the vac when the tool draws a load, but in reality is just trips a switch. keep on meaning to address it, but not high on my list of things to do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Current-Se...ZC23-NO-AL-CH/dp/B07N7965V1?tag=forumyield-20
Is an interesting product, but be careful, this product has conflicting information in the Amazon description. It states that the unit is "Waterproof: IP30" The 3 indicates protection against tools and thick wires >2.5mm and the 0 indicates no protection against liquid ingress. Looking at the product, it looks like the screw contacts will be live if you are switching a mains load, so can't be a '3' and it is impossible to have a "Waterproof" IP30 product. Since live terminals are exposed, it has no protection against liquid ingress, but at least they have the IP code '0' correct, but it is absolutely NOT waterproof. IP00. In addition, it doesn't appear to have CE approval for safety or EMC. Under the wrong conditions, this product could be very lethal, so if you use it, just be aware.

Ah, well spotted...it's another example of "C...cubed." Cheap Chinese C***

Back