Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

integrating the gallery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

would you like a gallery within the forum?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

hello again guys.
before i make my next suggestion, i just want to say i hope you dont think i'm in any way trying to put the site down. thats the last thing i'd do, i think the site is great. so please dont take offence to my input.

on having another look through the forum i noticed there was no topic for posting pics of any projects, workshops, new tools, etc, etc. now i know there is a gallery on the site but wouldn't it be a good idea to have it in the forum. this way people can post their pics (as many as they want) with a description. then as its in the forum others can post replies, leaving comments. i personally think this would work better than the existing gallery, and generate more feedback for pics posted.

once again........please dont take offence as there is none intended. :oops:

kenny.

p.s. i forgot to mention the option for a buy & sell topic also.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kenny,

Posting pictures? Nah, wouldn't work.....Ask Tony....

Rgds

Noel, in irony mode....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Noel :?

Kenny
Nice ideas.

Currently, most members regularly post pictures that are linked from the many free web space providers out there - not neccesarily the best way, but it currently seems to work quote well. If all images that people wanted to post were stored in the forum, then Charley would run out of web space pretty quickly :p

I wonder if you have tried using the forum's gallery? It really does work well and one can easily link from a posting to a picture stored in the gallery.

If you are struggling to post images, then carry out a search for a post by Adam (AsLeitch) about how to do it - it really is a masterpiece

I'm afraid to say that the option for a buy & sell topic would contravene the forum rules and possibly cause friction and problems between members which is something we wish to avoid at all costs. This is a friendly area where like minded people can chat about a frustrating and enjoyable hobby, not a commercial site. I can only see the addition of this facility bringing the forum down, which none of us want :shock:

Keep the ideas coming, all are appreciated :wink:

Cheers

Tony

PS no offence taken :lol:

A

Anonymous

no i dont mean having someone host the pics for others. what i was meaning was host your own pics using something like photobucket or something. then when you want to post a pic you would just post it within a dedicated section on the forum. to make this a little clearer have a look at this link:- http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewforum.p ... 4f6c505ef9

hope this explains what i mean.

kenny.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah hum... Deary me, must be 'cos it's not nice to argue with the members that I pick on another Mod instead... However:

Regarding buying and selling. We do have an informal policy regarding this, the gist being that it's fine for a private individual to do this on the General Woodworking board and with a clear "For Sale" in the subject line. The grey area is that we tend to frown rather mightily at anyone doing that and nothing else, so really it's an option restricted to active members of the forum and at the moderators' discretion. In other words we could get stroppy about it at any time :wink: , but we wouldn't do that. :roll: Generally everyone has a pretty good instinct when they're taking advantage of a free forum such as this, so listen to that little voice if in doubt. :wink: As it is there does seem to be a slightly informal black market going on anyway; Cummings just happens to mention that they're looking for a blurfl, next moment Goings PMs and has got a sale, or vice versa. :wink: It makes moderating a little trickier having buying and selling, but it's so darn useful (from a personal point of view) that I don't mind the extra judgement calls required.

As far as the pics go, generally a posting with pictures will fit quite happily into one of the existing boards, so I'm not sure of the need to be honest.

Cheers, Alf

Sorry, Tony, I'll take my boot out of your face now... :oops: :wink:

A

Anonymous

mmmpphhhh. OK now that Alf's boot is out :D I will say that I do agree with her comments. My concern was the scale of activities. i.e. dealers using the site rather than individual members helping each other out

Bad deals lead to bad feeling.

Of course the 'black market' thrives as my recent #6, #7 and spokeshave will testify :p

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony":39qbshle said:
my recent #6, #7 and spokeshave will testify :p
Come now Tony you know that after a comment like that you must post pictures of all you new toys :wink:

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh noooooooooo. Don't encourage him! :roll: And at least spare us the #6, Tony, for heaven's sakes... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

Midnight":2ttzznmn said:
I take it the #7 arrived....???
Monday morning. Thanks Mike it looks better than new :) sooo shiny and flat !! and only needed a quick setup to cut beautifully.

Rest assured, this baby will see some use in my garage :wink:

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
<picturing many a good cardio vascular work-out in Tony's near future..

Glad to hear you're happy Tony.. :wink:

A

Anonymous

OK, you asked for it

(some of) Tony's new (old) tools - #7 at the back, #6 infront, Veritas spokehave and a 'woodie'

Latest posts