Intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popkorn

Reaction score
Hi fellow woodworkers, I have been a non contributing reader for a while now and this morning I thought I would join the clan. My offering for this thread is Intarsia, probably not heard of by many, any way here is my winter/covid project finished.

Attachments

• DSC_1413.JPG
    DSC_1413.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1414.JPG
    DSC_1414.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 125
excellent work, deserves pride of place above the mantel

That's fabulous. I'd love to hear about what goes in to making something like that?
A thicknesser, bandsaw and scroll saw, plenty of hardwood planks, 5/8" thick, a good set of 'plans/design' from the states, and lots of time and patience.
I am afraid I cheat somewhat with drawings obtained from the old USA, photocopy on a board to assemble on, then pick a point to start from and cut, shape and fit as I go along and human error ensures I have to go back and constantly adjust. It helps on a large project to glue 'areas' together making larger pieces to fit together, avoids chasing fiddly bits all over the place. Sanding and scotchbright polishing as I go along, final assembly with plenty of clamps glued onto a baseboard, frame and varnish. A quick version of the job!!! Along with turning and gardening it keeps me quiet.

Nice Intarsia, and good description Popkorn.

You'll find Intarsia work and "how to's" popping up quite frequently on the Scrolling & Scroll Saw Section here, but unfortunately less these days as one of the prime exponents here, Claymore, doesn't seem to be posting any more.

Wanna have a go at it myself, but other stuff to be finished off first - just waiting for "one of these fine wet days"!

Back