intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aramco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all Steve good has just released a you tube video, of the 50 the anniversary of the Apollo moon landing, on his web site / blogg, his daily one, and nasa commissioned Judy Gale Robets to do an intarsia piece of this, please take the time out and watch it, the quality of work is such that my efforts as good as I thought they where, do not even deserve house room, if you do watch it I would really like your comments, I was blown away, and I mean blown away.

take care
John

Its brilliant! its only got 1200 pieces! my Clydesdales has 2000+ lol I reckon she is better than Kathy Wise

I do not know much about intarsia, come to think about it I also dont know a lot about scrolling either but she has been doing it for 30 years,,and it certainly shows, I have only been scrolling for about three, so a long way to go ,but at 76 there is not a lot of wiggle room, so I will have to see if I can get a book or a teacher from somewhere to maybe get a bit better, but there always seems to be something new that catches my eye to have a go at, 3d, shells,spirals and plaques and also to make shepherds crooks for the highland show next year.

take care
John

Aye I have been doing it since 2014 and still learning, I think anything is possible if you have the correct tools, selection of exotic woods like the Yanks have and patience.......its like some of my one off bike Intarsias i spent more time doing one of those than any of my wildlife ones but if your selling them you need to draw a line somewhere otherwise you will make no money. With the NASA project above she will have been paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for it where my 5ft Clydesdales is £1000 so big difference plus she doesn't do all the work herself there is a guy who does the majority and she tends to do the fiddly artistic bits. I love her work and she is leading the way worldwide on her designs and she has her own Intarsia school which is amazing there is a video of it on Youtube somewhere and worth watching. I would love to get my hands on her wood supplies as that would make it alot more easier to do shading and contouring but over here anything like she has would cost more than the whole project would sell for so i stick to my recycled Oak etc and my own Sycamore/Beech etc and good old wood dye lol ok its nowhere near like her work but it pays my bills and i love being back making stuff. I love the Shepherds crooks too never made one but love the work that goes into them and the Highland show is the top show in Scotland so well done if your selling there.
Cheers and thanks for tipping us off about Sally's masterpiece.
Brian

Just remembered about the NASA Intarsia video footage did you see the bit where the NASA guy told the people taking photos etc that they have to wait until 16th of July 2019 before showing anyone images of the plaque? Steve Good has already posted his video lol so the American public will already know about it now lol ooooooopppppps Steve lol

Sally who is sally??

I guess you know about stiles and bates catalog, they do all sorts of woods and the spindle blanks are very very reasonable, I got a hard wood selection bag for about £30 last year and am still using bit of it, got to say I dont do any where near the intarsia you do , come to think about it its ages since I did any, that's got be on the list after I finish 3 plaques for Australia, strange I have sold more plaques to Aussie than here, must be the postage, its cheaper to send stuff to Aussie than Ireland.

take care
John

Just watched the video. Impressive.
The eagle on top of the frame would make a good project on its own.
The detail is amazing. The wood makes a big difference that they have available over there.

A really nice piece of work that will be around for a very long time.
Thanks for the link to the video.

Back