Insurance Excess

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
I have downstairs flat which has suffered from some toerag breaking into upstairs flat and stealing copper cylinder and pipework, have made a claim from our insurance and told the excess has gone up from £100 to £250 because we are claiming for water damage.

What is really bugging me is that I have to pay the excess upfront before the building company start, now I am not going to tar everyone with the same brush but, who pays a builder for any work before they start?

I complained to the insurance company and was reassured that if the work is not up to a satisfactory standard they will not pay the builder, when I explained that I would still be out of pocket because unlike them I have to pay upfront, he said oh yes I see your point!

Oh and because I don't have contents insurance I have to replace the carpet and unlay myself. If I find the unfortunate who caused all this damage (I call him the unfortunate because he will be if I catch him) I will personally :-# :-# ..................I cant say on here because it will probably be removed by the moderators.

Stew
:( :( :(

Stew
I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought that you could claim off your upstairs neighbour. Do it nicely of course, it's no more his fault than yours, but let's assume for the moment that he is insured. It was his water (OK, OK, but you get the point) after all.
Something to investigate, anyway.
S

Back