Insulation for Workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any good deals on insulation for a workshop made of concrete blocks.

From what i can see theres lots of block/sheet type polystyrene insulation available.....But I dont want to loose a lot of internal width by putting thick blocks of 75mm.

There is 25mm high performance blocks like Celotex or kingspan but works out at around £14 for a 2400 x 1200 sheet.

Has anyone spotted any good deals?

Thanks Kev

Kev,
Have a look at AIRTEC - it's tin foil bubble wrap and has the same thermal properties as 55mm of polystyrene sheet but is very thin and comes on a roll.
We insulate garden offices with it and, due to working in one for the last 5 years, can vouch for its effectiveness.
Screwfix stock it.

Regards, Chris

50mm Kingspan\Celotex bonded to plasterboard is probably the best bet in terms of price\thermal performance\space. If space is realy a premium then you could get Aerogel bonded to plasterboard (< 20mm in total), but that is in the region of £100 per sq metre (IIRC).

You could use 25mm Kingspan bonded to plasterboard - thermal less than the 50mm stuff, but a lot better than nothing!

The thin foils - you would need a 25mm airgap either side of the foil, the issues brought up in Jacob's thread aside.

HIH

Dibs

Hi Kev,

I tried to get some 'seconds' of celotex/kingspan from a local company for my build, and was told that due to the downturn in building, there were fewer seconds about.
So I got a price from Seconds and Co. it was only a little cheaper than the local full price stuff after delivery was added. The cheapest I found was Sheffins in Birmingham.
But again there's delivery which is why I bought locally.

The point about reflective insulation is that it only deals with radiative heat loss, not conductive - apart from the minimal filling between the foils.
There is though. the uplift (if fitted and taped very well) that is gained by stopping the loss of heat by air movement in and out of the construction.
Until someone pays for credible research (other than hot box) this problem will rumble on for years.
Not very helpful but food for thought.

Regards....Dick.... Who fitted his insulation on the outside, thus obviating thermal bridging.

Just remembered, yours is brick built. If you could fix, say 25mm of celotex to the outside, and then clad it, you would create a sink/source for the available heat, so that the temperature would stay more even and not get stifling in the summer. Just a thought.

Back