Insulating garage walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 466

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start insulating the roof of my double garage to prevent condensation problems (steel roof) along the lines suggested in previous posts to this forum.

While I am on with this, I was wondering whether it would be worth insulating the walls as well. What's putting me off is the two garage doors which I must leave operational. Since I can't seal the door openings, would I be wasting my time insulating the walls?

What would you recommend?

Steve, what kind of doors? Up and over, roller, barn doors?

Noel

Steve,

I would insulate the walls every little bit helps with the cold, I would also do the doors if possible and it helps having a smooth surface so makes dusting easer. :wink: :wink:

all the best

Neil

There are 2 doors which are are up and over steel doors. They do have a gap around them and they are my only means of getting into the garage. Unfortunately, I do not have a separate access door and have nowhere suitable to fit one.

It is because of this gap around the doors that I was wondering whether insulating the walls would have any effect.

Thanks for your replies. I take the point about it being easier to clean the dust away. At the moment the garage is an absolute tip!

Is chipboard the best material to use?

I have steel garage type side hung doors on my workshop and have insulated them by sticking 50mm thick PU insulation board to them. All the air gaps have been plugged by various foam strip sealants, which has stopped all cold air entering. The roof space and the floor are also insulated with the PU boards (on the floor I've laid 18mm T&G chipboard on top of the insulation) and the walls are made of 150mm thick 'Durox' thermal blocks. I find that I can keep a reasonable temperature in the workshop with just a 500W oil filled radiator and a dehumidifier. I use the dehumidifier to ensure that I can keep the humidity down below rust inducing levels, as I only have the heater on when I'm using the workshop.
Cheers, David

Latest posts

Back