Instruction books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Not really a fan of reading them .............

Owned my ride on kubota mower for 2 years, cuts lovely apart from long grass which clogs it. Really boils my wee as it cost a heck of a lot of dough and I now have a big field which often has long grass.

Mrs finally persuaded me to read the instruction book, ok that lever on the side is not a diverter lever it's the rear unblocking lever, and that bed removal lever is not a removal lever it's a front unblocking lever. Well I never, I shall not tell the Mrs, I shall just tell her I have fixed the problem.

Rode my Bil's big tractor ride on mower to cut a field of grass with the hand brake on. For the whole field.
*can I smell burning?*
Hmmm.
Got back in and the Mrs' sister says. Thanks. That's great. Thank God you didn't leave the hand brake on because it really f*cks it when you do that.
Oooooo k. No definitely didn't do that then I said.
:|
Definitely.

Hi

Years ago, when automatics were quite new, my boss bought one, never read the instructions. We were going along the M5 and he said to me 'Can't seem to get much speed out of this...'. I looked down and saw that he had put it in'2'!!!

Just told him he might like to push the leaver up!!

Also, I seem to remember that a well known footballer, many years ago - could have been Bob Wilson- asked his wife to drive their new car whilst he had a few mins shut eye, told her not to go above 40. When he woke up thy were whizzing along .... She had looked at the revs not the speedo!!

Phil

I can recommend sheep for grass cutting. Good for the BBQ, too. Not horses - they do no end of damage to the ground, and then you can't get your lawnmower across to cut it. (You also can't afford a lawnmower, because you have horses, and for some odd reason people object to eating horse - best tell them it is beef, or lawnmower.)

That's a lot of sheep! We get by with two on about the same size of land, but our grass is a bit weird - we have two springs and two winters, given that the summer is so dry everything dies, but then October greens up again. 40 sheep will give you a lawn in 2 days, but they will starve to death at the end the month. Do you have any neighbors with a flock? Get them in whenever it needs a trim...

Maybe it'd be different on well-kept grass like I imagine Bob's would be. I was just going off the amount that are dumped on our eight acres which is a bit grass heavy at first, takes them a good month or so to get through it all, perhaps if it was shorter grass and constantly munched on it would take fewer to actually maintain it.

Trevanion":3b4g3mvr said:
Maybe it'd be different on well-kept grass like I imagine Bob's would be. I was just going off the amount that are dumped on our eight acres which is a bit grass heavy at first, takes them a good month or so to get through it all, perhaps if it was shorter grass and constantly munched on it would take fewer to actually maintain it.

It's a field which was seeded last year, growing like twittery. We keep it about 3-4" long. It now has planning permission for use as a dog training field.

doctor Bob":vvyd3d45 said:
Not really a fan of reading them .............

My Toyota Auris Hybrid comes with online manuals - a 640 page pdf for the car and a 292 page pdf for the Nav system

Took me a year to realise that the sat nav has a choice of greyscale or colour (never had one fitted to the cars I owned before) :oops:

Found a switch down the side of the driver's seat after about 18 months - apparently it also has electric lumbar control! :oops:

doctor Bob":o22us5kg said:
how many sheep would you need on 7 acres?

This is our front lawn (ha, greenery, more like). With the biological mowers in place.

Sheep.jpg

With an area round the side, totals about 2 acres. The shepherd 'lends' us about 2 dozen (including lambs) and that suffices in spring. In summer he wants the stock higher up on the hill, so we have get the grass cut. And of course droppings every where. But since we are never really going to sit on that grass it doesn't matter.

Attachments

• Sheep.jpg
    Sheep.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 226
Beautiful green sward - my land doesn't quite match up to the competition :oops:

Resizer_15899492972070.jpg

Not much grass, and lots of aggressive, fast-growing annuals designed to repel goats. The flowers are pretty, but it is all drying up now, owing to lack of water. Another month and it will mostly be dead. Then green again in October, and more flowers. In the meantime, someone should probably cut that...

Attachments

• Resizer_15899492972070.jpg
    Resizer_15899492972070.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
Back