Inspirations after visiting this place..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulogngham

StillJustAboutGotAllMyFingers
Reaction score
All,
Today, my dear wife dragged me to visit this place http://www.wharfside.co.uk/dining.html (google wharfside dot co dot uk) to look at some dining tables and chairs as we're looking for a nice solid pieces. Anyway, after spotting a really nice table and set of 6 chairs, we enquired about the price. The nice sales lady then proceeded to look up the price and guess what ? The price was just short of £10K. (£1K per chair + £4K for the table)
This was indeed the most expensive set I've ever came across.
So what's so inspiring ? Well I'm thinking may be I can go ahead make make it myself !
TP

Hi TP

Which suite was it on the website that was so expensive and, as a matter of interest, what would you say is a reasonable price for a dining suite?

Chris

I'd have to agree, those tables and chairs do seem to require deep pockets. The tables are pretty slabby with no curves and the chairs don't seem too complex to knock out. The most expensive option I guess would have been those made in ABW - Rob

Yes it does seem a bit pricey. Fancy looking flap movement though. The chairs do seem expensive for a fairly simple design.

Were you thinking of making an extending version?

Chris

I aint impressed with the chairs at all. They say they won a design award for what to me looks like any other metal frame chair, other than the walnut I think the chairs look cheap. Table is very nice and I would charge about £2k but thats hand made one off prices, both walnut and glass is expensive.

Chairs I would say £300-500 each Max depending how the walnut is curved.

Welcome to the Forum TP.
I am sure you can make a Table yourself. Take some piccies along the way, and when you have passed the required number of posts (Just a few) you can then put up the pics for us all to see as a 'work in progress' (WIP!)
Best of luck with the chairs.
Regards
John :)

Thanks. Well to be honest I'm quite new to any joinery type wood working athough I've installed solid wood floors and am Ok with any DIY.
I said to the wife that if and when I have time, I'll get a planer/jointer, bandsaw and dust extractor and I'll turn the garage to full blown work shop. I already have a table saw, router table, hand planer etc so it's just a matter of time.
The wife then said, by the time you get round to it, the kids would have left home already. They're 5yr + 2yrs old now !

BTW - Anyone fancy making some tables and chairs for us ?
TP

tulogngham":1xwolu8e said:
Thanks. Well to be honest I'm quite new to any joinery type wood working athough I've installed solid wood floors and am Ok with any DIY.
I said to the wife that if and when I have time, I'll get a planer/jointer, bandsaw and dust extractor and I'll turn the garage to full blown work shop. I already have a table saw, router table, hand planer etc so it's just a matter of time.
The wife then said, by the time you get round to it, the kids would have left home already. They're 5yr + 2yrs old now !

BTW - Anyone fancy making some tables and chairs for us ?
TP

With a 5yr old and a 2 year old I would wait till there gone before putting walnut at bumping height. (hammer) :lol: Ill be gutted if they damaged it (it is a fairly hard wood though).

I don't mind quoting if you let me know requirements (if different to links) and location.

I have to say they don't look the money to me.

About 5 years ago, I went to an Edward Barnsley Workshop open day where they had a suite of dining table and 8 chairs nearing completion. When I asked how much I was told £35k but it really did look the money. The table was to seat 8 and had a double hayrake at each end with a double leg at each corner and the chairs were a variation on the trad Barnsley curved latice back design. All in American blak walnut with rosewood detailing. Fabulous.

Jim

yetloh":3r5763nm said:
I have to say they don't look the money to me.

About 5 years ago, I went to an Edward Barnsley Workshop open day where they had a suite of dining table and 8 chairs nearing completion. When I asked how much I was told £35k but it really did look the money. The table was to seat 8 and had a double hayrake at each end with a double leg at each corner and the chairs were a variation on the trad Barnsley curved latice back design. All in American blak walnut with rosewood detailing. Fabulous.

Jim
Sounds about par Jim, for a Barnlsey dining suite - Rob

Back