inspiration to use piece of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCF2655.jpg

After finding this solid dry piece of beech on the local free ads a couple of years ago, measuring 8 foot x 2.2 foot x 2 inch's for £20.00 it has sat in my fathers farm store lucky not to be cut up and used for fire wood. i am dead out of ideas of how i can use this to it's maximum potential without cutting it up into a million pieces. too small to make a 2 plank table top of any decent size and not thick enough once planed for much furniture use.

I've been thinking of using a section to make a traditional style butchers block with solid beech top.

My question to you all is, what would you do with it?

Cheers, Mark

24 breadboards?
Actually it looks a bit uninspiring but would come in for odds and ends eventually I'm sure.

Jacob":snwlvwl2 said:
24 breadboards?
Actually it looks a bit uninspiring but would come in for odds and ends eventually I'm sure.
I have to agree with Jacob here. Not a lot that you can really do with this sort of board, but it'll come in useful one day for a project when it'll be just the right bit of wood for the job, so don't do anything with it yet. I had a similar piece of beech (a bit smaller) that I didn't know what to do with, but when I came back from Japan it was just the right size, and the right material to make a knife block from so I'm glad I didn't use it for anything else - Rob

If you can think of something you want to do with it, something useful, coffee table etc, then do a search for said images for inspiration and adjust any designs you like to suit your timber, Then see if you can find a piece of Elm or Walnut or something slightly darker to contrast with it and get some to make up the shortfall for your cutting list.

Andy

Make a one piece electric guitar. You could probably make two. Or cut it into guitar sized bits and sell it on ebay for enough to fund another project.

You would have serious trouble trying to sell that to any Guitar maker. It's just not something they would go for.
As many have said though, it will come in useful for some project.

If it is 2" thick as your post suggests (but I agree it don't look it) then its a very useful for furniture. Now you say you don't want to cut it up into lots of pieces, a butchers block would be doing just that?

If it was me, it would stay in my wood store until needed.

Ideas? You looking to sell on what you make or use it yourself?. If the later, look around your home for a piece you don't have which you could make use off. Maybe a chest at the end of your bed, a seat for taking your shoes off in the hall, an end table or set of steps.

Latest posts

Back