Insomnia. Any sufferers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Now I don't really suffer with insomnia, but there are times when I lie awake, and find it difficult to switch off, especially if I am designing a project, or I have come up against a problem. Then I can lie awake for hours only to fall asleep finally, in the small hours. This means waking up late of course, with the usual bleary eyes and a stinking headache.

But the other day, the problem was being discussed on the TV. Some sleep psychologist (or whatever title they go by) said there was a simple technique that sometimes helps. He suggested, when you are lying there unable to stop trains of thought running through the mind, over and over, just say, 'The.'

'Say it to yourself, or out aloud 'The.'
Just that one word. 'The.'
Repeat it , until... It disrupts the chain of thought apparently.

I tried it a few times since. It ruddy-well works! Like a charm. The, the, the, the, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!.

Hope this helps someone.

John :)

Well I don't know, you join a woodworking forum and maybe find a cure for my ongoing sleep issues :D Looking forward to trying this out - I normally resort to 'Nightcalms' but I'd rather not. It's a real pain when you've got some creative idea going on in your mind keeping you up all night - and in the morning pretty much everything you've planned whilst lying there is complete nonsense!

About 7 years ago I suffered from insomnia for a period of 3 months. Awful experience, hardly fit to do a days work with so little sleep. It can also be pretty dangerous to yourself and to others.
I tried the tablets. The one thing that had a real effect was a few drops of Lavender Oil on the Pillow and a 'loop' of a relaxing nature sound - in this case the sound of a stream with a bit of bird song thrown in. The combination knocked me clean out. After a few nights of the therapy I no longer needed it, probably because I had stopped worrying about not sleeping!
Meditation is a proven technique that helps insomnia sufferers, although it may not work for everyone.
Oh and don't clock watch!

Clock watch is the worth thing to do. You just get even more irritated which keeps you awake for longer.

Im a permanent suffer and have many different routines that work for a period of time and then stop working and I have to move on to the next. It even comes down to what im wearing or not wearing in bed.

I don't suffer from classic insomnia as such but I always wake at about 4.00am and find it impossible to get to sleep again. So I'm always up, washed and shaved by at least 4.30am. Maybe I just don't need much sleep. Anyway I get longer days than most folk :)

RogerP":31m28iin said:
I don't suffer from classic insomnia as such but I always wake at about 4.00am and find it impossible to get to sleep again. So I'm always up, washed and shaved by at least 4.30am. Maybe I just don't need much sleep. Anyway I get longer days than most folk :)

Not really Roger as you're probably are in bed by 6pm :D

Mick

What works for me is banging my head on pillow ....let me explain lol

if you want to wake up at six bang head on pillow 6 times

if you want to wake up at eight bang head ....you get the idea

cures insomnia for me i nearly always sleep to that time

Dave :O)

I'm a fully paid up member of Insomniacs are Us, as some might have guessed from the times of some of my postings. I've learned to live with it, fortunately I don't have the worry of getting up for work now. Sometimes I can be 'up' for 24 - 36 hours and then sleep on and off for a whole day. Don't arf mess up the body clock though, not to mention your head, trying to work out whether it's 6am or 6pm and what day it is.

I have got used to it. I use those sleepless nights and get some good brain storming in. I keep meaning to get a pen and paper on the bedside cupboard so as to be able to capture all the crazy ideas that you have when you can't sleep!

Webby":h94y2r7j said:
What works for me is banging my head on pillow ....let me explain lol

if you want to wake up at six bang head on pillow 6 times

if you want to wake up at eight bang head ....you get the idea

cures insomnia for me i nearly always sleep to that time

Dave :O)

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's not sleep - it's called concussion :lol: :lol: :lol:

last night, I was running over the dismantling of my lathe and Triton, before I reorganise the shop. I realised I was 'still buzzing', so I tried the 'the' method myself last night.

It worked again; it must have. I don't remember a thing until 8 am this morning!

John

RogerP":jzyne7zt said:

Me as well. Usually, though, it's an ear-worm going through my head that stops me getting back to sleep again.

Just need to find something to cure the 2am case of the "muchies" and a trip down to the kitchen. :lol:

Having a mini "snack bar" by the side of the bed didn't get approved by the Domestic Commission.

Dibs

Dibs-h":2r9ajjb4 said:
Just need to find something to cure the 2am case of the "muchies" and a trip down to the kitchen. :lol:

Having a mini "snack bar" by the side of the bed didn't get approved by the Domestic Commission.

Dibs

Easy... Put plenty of salt in the biscuit tin. :wink:

In truth Dibs, I'm afraid I just asked the 'boss' not to buy any more digestives; chocolate or otherwise. Visitors? Well they can make do with nuts and fruit, like I have to!

John :mrgreen:

I'm gonna try the 'the' method, years of shifts are starting to knacker my body clock and there's nothing worse than lying awake at 03:00 knowing you've to get up at 05:00, Syndol sometimes helps if I remember, trouble is when there's only two hours to go it's too late to start sedating yourself.

Back