Insert nuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello....

I was wondering if anybody had experience of using insert nuts with say 8mm dowel bolts as a substitute for a screw chuck with single screw.i have turned down a 8 mm bolt to fit the 6mm hole in chuck and can now use an insert nut. This can be inserted into the wood. With support from running centre I thnk it could be possible to turn with this method.
Any ideas on this? :?

I turn cabinet knobs and use a small ply disc with an m4 bolt trapped in its centre- this is held in my chuck. I then put m4 inserts in the blanks. They are just right for fixing the knobs too. The only thing to be sure of is to use the screw inserts not the flanged ones as these will often come out while you're turning.

Hi...I used the screw in insert and tried turning yesterday with some ash branch....with a centre behind the log it helps rock steady and turned well..I have looked at other sizes and I am going to try the 6mm as this will retain the bolt head inside the screw chuck,,making sure nothing moves.the hole left behind after turning could be plugged or removed completely depending on design of object

Back