Insect numbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryd

Established Member
Reaction score
I drove about 30 miles today, and, at the end of the trip was surprised to see what I haven't seen for years - a windscreen covered in insects. Front of the car, too. I think this is good news for insectivores. Has anyone else noticed it? Is it maybe to do with neonicotinoids?

Might have more to do with the mild winter and early spring not killing off as many as a more normal seasons would.

Either reason for the increase, it may result in the cost of basic commodities such as Rape Seed oil skyrocketing this year, the high density planting is at serious risk without an effective means of control.

I for one welcome getting back to the days of yore I remember where every cottage garden was awash with butterflies and bees, like the recovery of the birds of pray since the reduction of DDT. but I do wonder how we are going to reconcile the two.

It's all them foreign bugs, coming over here, taking our bugs' jobs whilst claiming all the benefits...

:roll:

Not many squished bugs on the cars yet, still too cool I think.
But the bees were busy this morning, here's a ginger one (where else would you find a ginger bee...), if you look closely you'll see the face of a Koala bear on the back of it's head, well you might do:

hpQzuSV.jpg

We were down on the Levels at Shapwick Reserve last week end.

I've never seen so many mosquitoes, albeit small ones.

Also, sadly, the open water is now clogged with lily pads, literally acres of them. I'm not sure but at a guess it will put off the otters a bit, and possibly the Osprey passing through, as the fish can hide a lot more easily. I hadn't been down for several years, so I was shocked to see how the lilies had gone from nothing (*literally) to dominating everything that wasn't reed bed. IIRC they're not native and have "escaped" from garden ponds. I'm wondering if the mild winter has allowed them to keep growing.

I found some insects as well, trapped and dying in le tonkinois varnish #-o

Back