Inlay banding, the end

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
We then glue the thing up, prepare everything, lay one of your strips and coat with glue, I have some titebond extend for any complicated glue-ups so this is what I've used here. Lay half of you pyramids down making sure they are touching, I give them a little rub in just to set up some suction, once half of your pyramids are down then individually glue each of the rest and lay them on top gently, do not push them in,
Hounds tooth 14.JPG

when done, tape up, gently.
Hounds tooth 15.jpg

and clamp the life out of them starting from the centre out.
Hounds tooth 18.JPG

Then when dry, plane one side,
Hounds tooth 16.jpg

And cut into strips, I got eighteen out of that piece and bearing in mind we still have the pyramids with Walnut on the outer side for which we will make some more lines from some veneer, Maple on the inside this time, so I will get another eighteen strips from those each 300mm long.
Hounds tooth 17.jpg

Lovely jubbly,,,,,,how much would that lot cost? and all made from stuff which could easily have gone on the fire, plus you could use timber from the project you are working on which would match perfectly.
The rope inlay was made just the same way except the first strips were cut on the 45 deg jig but not flipped over so they were all angle the same way.

Andy

Attachments

• Hounds tooth 14.JPG
    Hounds tooth 14.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • Hounds tooth 15.jpg
    Hounds tooth 15.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Hounds tooth 16.jpg
    Hounds tooth 16.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Hounds tooth 18.JPG
    Hounds tooth 18.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,159
  • Hounds tooth 16.jpg
    Hounds tooth 16.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Hounds tooth 17.jpg
    Hounds tooth 17.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,152
Sportique":252y85r3 said:
Andy,

many thanks - that is such a great idea. Thanks for the WIP. =D> =D>

You may be interested in a similar laminating technique that I use at:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/hot-plate-stands-t38607.html

Check out the third photo - a simple bandsaw jig that may be of interest.

I look forward to your next WIP

Dave

Brilliant Dave, just don't know where you get the ideas from. In picture three where you are cutting the segments, if you turned those, end to end, onto the sides just cut with the band-saw you would have your rope inlay.

Andy

Andy,

yes, I see what you mean - very clever. Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees.

Keep up the good work

Dave

Back