Initial comments on the veritas mkII honing guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had my guide for a couple hours now and have used it for the past hour and a half. The reason for my intensive work is because of some "work" I did while fettling the plane on my LV smoother. I had done about ten strokes on the wet/dry with my smoother when I realized that I hadn't retracted the blade. doh! ](*,) One piece of sand paper shot and one blade buggered. Time to remove that backbevel from my bevel up blade. My fingers are sore and I'm ready with some initial comments.

I've never used the mkI sharpener, but I have used an eclipse style guide for the past three years. I must say, it's a world of difference. Not having to squat down in front of my bench, guessing whether or not I'm keeping the same angle that's on the blade while I try to make sure that my blade stays square to that crappy eclipse casting (shuddering at the memories)

The mkII can almost be used without reading the directions. I only had to refer to them to see where the adjustable roller should be set. Other than that, the guide is self explanatory. All of the settings have good detents and are easy to set and repeat. One of the best features about the guide are the many different ways to position your fingers. After using the guide for an hour and a half, I had to change positions a number of times to give my fingers a rest.

Stability with the wide roller is great. What more can you say? But, the roller is so stable, I can see how it might be tough to bevel the edges of the blade.

Overall, the mkII is great. It definitely makes sharpening plane blades easier, especially the initial blade setup.

Oh thanks you swine: another toy - er no, I mean essential workshop tool - joins the ever growing list... :wink:

still waitin for mine to get here....

don't ask me why I'm feeling impatient; right now there's 8 blades that I canna hold with anything else waiting for it to arrive... you'd think I'd have more sense by now huh...??

I've been waiting for a good sharpening guide to be designed for as long as I've been using hand tools. Thank goodness someone finally got it right . . .

Not having to squat down in front of my bench, guessing whether or not I'm keeping the same angle that's on the blade

Just make a projection gauge - like a mini bench stop. At least if you indend to continue with the Eclipse :)

BugBear

Don't forget Tony, they canny write dates properly over there - only 5 days away. Hopefully Mike's is over the Atlantic at the moment, or maybe on it, hopefully not in it....assuming he's already ordered it.

Noel

I've just this morning received the updated, proper production clamp bar, and having given it a quick spin it's looking very, very good indeed. Update to the review in due course, fwiw. The point being, I think you'll find it was worth the wait, Mike.

Cheers, Alf

Mike from veritas website:

Availability: Out of Stock - Expected 6/8/2005

guess what arrived this morning..?? :p

now.. if you'll excuse me I've some irons to tickle.... bbl..

bugbear":11tblgeo said:
Just make a projection gauge - like a mini bench stop. At least if you indend to continue with the Eclipse :) BugBear

I'm definitely going to keep using the eclipse -- it's going to keep any papers from blowing off my workbench when I open the garage door. ;)

Alf":13yvoimq said:
I've just this morning received the updated, proper production clamp bar, and having given it a quick spin it's looking very, very good indeed. Update to the review in due course, fwiw. The point being, I think you'll find it was worth the wait, Mike.
Cheers, Alf

Do all of the production guides that have shipped come with the "updated production clamp bar?"

Do all of the production guides that have shipped come with the "updated production clamp bar?"

Mine did... the clamp bar pins have been splined to lock them into the bar, the pins are angled slightly to improve grip on tapered blades and the bar has a lot more gimbal to it... other than that my example is identical to the pre production one I tested...

As for how it works... it was well worth the wait...

Midnight":370gaxm2 said:
Mike from veritas website:

Availability: Out of Stock - Expected 6/8/2005

guess what arrived this morning..?? :p

now.. if you'll excuse me I've some irons to tickle.... bbl..

I guess all you guys are buying direct from Lee Valley? If so are you incurring any of the famous charges for having them sent from Canada?

ydb1md":2ebzacp1 said:
Yes, every one. Not a single one was sold with the "old" part.

Cheers, Alf

I guess all you guys are buying direct from Lee Valley? If so are you incurring any of the famous charges for having them sent from Canada?

right guess Waka... from dispatch to arrival was 4 days, not so much as a cheep from either HM C&E or parcelforce "royalties". Delivered to the door with no hassle..

my first time buying direct from L-V... and if their catalogues are anything to go by it won't be my last...

Midnight":6v4vrz0o said:
my first time buying direct from L-V... and if their catalogues are anything to go by it won't be my last...

My kids want me to buy from Woodcraft because they throw candy in with your order but my postman wants to know if i have stock in Lee Valley because of how many packages he delivers from them.

Back