Inghamish Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
Following Harbo's recent foray into Robert Ingham style 'lollypop' boxes herewith my attempt at one of his twin lid designs, shortly to be despatched to London as my son's birthday present. This box though has got a little bit of JK in there...

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

...'cos it has the 'lift' as part of each lid, which was a slightly tricky to do, suffice to say at one point the whole thing was considered as bandsaw fodder :evil:

IMG_2646.jpg

The lid(s) is a single piece of Japanese 'Yakusugi' cedar from the island of Yakushima and is at least 1000 years old. It's now forbidden to harvest the timber and the only wood for sale comes from trees which have been blown over in the typhoons, but remarkably, the trees do regenerate after the storms and produce timber with a stunning grain pattern. During the Edo period, vast amounts of Yakusugi cedar were converted into roof shingles and taken to the mainland; it was offered as tribute to the local samurai lord as it's just about only valuable thing growing on the island.

The lids are hinged...

IMG_2647.jpg

...using a couple of steel nails on each side, which are driven into an 8mm beech dowel as the cedar itself in so soft :shock: to work with. Some 4mm rosewood (donated by Waka) dowels were used to cover the nail holes. Apart from the Yakusugi, the other material is English Walnut, through dovetailed...

IMG_2649.jpg

...with a twin veneered walnut base. Finish is a couple of coats of mat Osmo with beeswax over the top. Interestingly, it's impossible to use the Osmo on cedar as it won't dry and remains forever tacky, but instead I used two coats of Liberon Finishing Oil with wax over the top - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg