Infrared heaters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewf

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking for an infa red heater, for a workshop. Are they all much the same, or is there some with better or more useful features.

I have a couple that I got from B&M for £20 each. They are very good for the most part. Tend to use them to warm up parts before glue up with hide glue. They work, not by heating up the workshop so much but by making anything solid infront of them warmer. I tend to have one on rotation/swing mode facing the bench to keep me warm as I work.

Digging up an old thread!

Have been thinking about this for a long time.

How high above my panel saw and spindle moulder can it be? Close or far? How long would it take to warm up?

And of course - can anyone recommend a decent one or make?! Happy to pay!

Many thanks! Louis

Ultimately I want to heat a workshop that’s 6m wide by around 12 meters long

Perhaps a series of heater lamps screwed to the walls?

You will probably find it unnecessary to heat the whole shop with infrared heaters - just put them where you work.

I was about to post a link to the one I have ............. but it's gone in three years from under £30 to £88.:dunno:

Last edited:
Prices for IR heaters have shot up as they're being used to warm patios for legal Tier-X gatherings!

@LBCarpentry 1 every couple of meters will be fine and you will feel the benefit up to around 4 feet away. Just remember they don't heat the air but solid items. If you are working in a warm top and trousers then once you start working you will feel very comfy after a couple of minutes but the main benfit is you don't end up feeling too hot that you sweat. To preheat a surface for finish or glue about 18 inches is the best distance that I have found

I'd also look at a desiccant dehumidifier in addition to the heaters; as well as conditioning the humidity of the workshop they warm the air as a kind of byproduct of their operation and make it easier for the actual heaters to do their job.

No you want 2Kw plus versions to heat up a larger area, they are also a much safer option in a dusty workshop enviroment and more efficient.

No you want 2Kw plus versions to heat up a larger area, they are also a much safer option in a dusty workshop enviroment and more efficient.
I've not seen those heater's go up to anywhere near 2kW's I thought the output was proportional to the length, i.e. a given wattage output per linear foot.
Also, that type doesn't use oil as far as I know, they use a simple resistive heating element within a shut metal tube. I'm not sure there is any thermal transmission other than the air and metal tube itself.

It's possible I'm being dumb here and I agree that a tube heater is safer (in theory) but unsure of the suggestion of the heat output and heating method.

Why's that? I'm about to put one (a little smaller) in the bottom of an airing cupboard.
Can you imagine the efficiency of a heater that you can comfortably hold in your hand?

Having said that if, as my wardrobe has, your cupboard has spaces to allow air movement, it is possible that one of these heaters will heat some air enough that it will rise and exit, to be replaced with slightly cooler air and thereby provide a little ventilation.
But don't expect it to raise the temp much.
If you have already bought it, too late. But if you haven't and would like me to, I'll do an experiment to record how effective it is.

Latest posts

Back