Information for a newly arrived woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently moved back from Florida to rural Worcestershire, and I'm finding that a lot of things I used to know about my woodworking habit (that I developed while I was living over there) are no longer applicable... so I was hoping that I could pick your brains for any and all information that you think might be useful...

For example, I don't know:

- Where are good (and bad) places to buy tools (online and real shops)
- Where to get wood
- What types of wood are worth getting
- What magazines are worth reading
- What websites are worth browsing
- Are there any local clubs
- What half the acronyms I see you use mean
- Where to find woodworking shows on TV

I recently found this forum and from lurking for a couple of weeks it seems like a great place to learn all this stuff. I'll start asking more specific questions but I'm also concerned about the stuff that I don't realize I don't know (for example, I am completely unfamiliar with local building regulations, planning procedures, health and safety legislation etc)

So if anyone has any useful information, please share! Assume I know nothing and you won't be far wrong.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Richard. I see that you are still on USA time :)

I am sure you will find people only too willing to help - just ask away. For timber suppliers, see my sig. for starters.

Hi Richard

Welcome to the forum.

For tools, you could look at The List.

In terms of magazines in the UK Good Woodworking is, imho, the best. With the favourable exchange rate the American mags come in at a really good price.

Cheers
Neil

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

rkchapman":las9wrsn said:
- Where are good (and bad) places to buy tools (online and real shops)
As Neil says, "The List" is a start. You definitely want a copy of the Axminster catalogue. Also a warning that Rutlands should be used with caution and a world-weary resignation that you may or may not end up a satisfied customer by the time you're done.
- Where to get wood
Hah! Still working on that one after 20 years...
- What types of wood are worth getting
Tricky one to answer - in what respect?
- What magazines are worth reading
Old ones.
- What websites are worth browsing
This one! Actually as links on here will take you to other sources, members' websites etc it probably is the best place to start.
- Are there any local clubs
Odds are "no" unless it's woodturning, but you may be lucky.
- What half the acronyms I see you use mean
Well I made a start on an explanation here
- Where to find woodworking shows on TV
In America... Or else I believe you need one of Mr Murdoch's flying saucers on the side of your house.

Cheers, Alf

Good to see you on the site Richard. There are a few of us who have moved here / back here, with all tools in tow! Ask any and all questions and I'm sure someone will know ......

Alf":1co3rec7 said:
You definitely want a copy of the Axminster catalogue.
Oh dear Alf, here's a chap at the top of the slope and what do you do? You go and put roller skates on him :roll: :wink:

Welcome Richard, Alf's right though (of course), this forum is where to start and you do need one of these - just make sure your credit cards are under lock and key first (give the key to someone else).

Cheers
Mark

Hi Richard,

where are you in Worcestershire?

In Tewkesbury there is the Tewkesbury Saw Co which has a large showroom. All sorts of hand and power tools. Machinery ranging from the small to the huge.

In Ross on Wye there is the General Tool Store. Nowhere near as good as Tewkesbury Saw co but still has a good range of stuff.

In Ledbury this Saturday there is a timber and tool auction. This auction is held two or three times a year. There are some great deals to be found (and some not so good deals).http://www.hjpugh.com

Hope you're not too far away from these to make use of them.

Dave

Welcome Richard.

Acronyms

IMHO : Officialy ( In My Honest Opinion)
Really means ( This is what I think and you'd better believe it) :)

SLOPE: Officialy ( What you are on when purchasing too many tools)
Really means ( Somewhere Low On Principles and Ethics ) when certain members try to convince you to buy tools whether you need them or not. :twisted:

Dom

Welcome to the forum. I joined some two years ago and don't use any other forum 'cos they just don't compare. Friendly advice is always available and you'll soon get to know the personalities who are regular contributors. If you've been away for a while it's also a good way of meeting people - if only on line - and there's always somebody around even in the small wee hours.

Best way to get advice is to ask specific questions otherwise people will just get confused about what bit of their extremely wide and varied knowledge base to share with you.

If it's specific help you need and someone replies to your question don't hesitate to use a personal message, that way you're in direct contact with a person who has probably had the same problem to resolve.

Enjoy yourself.

Mike

Dom,

The usual reading for IMHO is In My Humble Opinion, which matters a good deal when used in its IMNVHO and IMNSHO variants. :lol:

Thanks for all the tips everyone - actually my Axminster catalogue arrived this morning and I've already placed two orders so I'm ahead of you on that one.

I'm located near Bromsgrove, so Tewkesbury and Ledbury are reachable but not close. The auction on Saturday does sound tempting though....

I notice from the maps that Chris linked to that the tool dealers on it seem to have cleverly arranged themselves as far away from me as they possibly can...

Woodturning is one of my main interests - but I also want to make some builtin furniture and bookcases for the house, and I also want to try my hand at making boxes.

And it looks as though my next major project will be the repair of my workshop, so I'll need general construction timber (treated?)

rkchapman":2zmi0wtm said:
Thanks for all the tips everyone - actually my Axminster catalogue arrived this morning and I've already placed two orders so I'm ahead of you on that one.
See? It weren't me, guv. O:)

Alf":107ov3jh said:
rkchapman":107ov3jh said:
See? It weren't me, guv. O:)
...obviously been watching too much Sweeny or L on M :D - Rob

Nick W":3dgtc8sv said:
Dom,

The usual reading for IMHO is In My Humble Opinion, which matters a good deal when used in its IMNVHO and IMNSHO variants. :lol:

Humble ! Humble ! Nah, don't use that stuff, sounds a bit Uriah Heepy to me :)

Dom

Hi Richard and Welcome

Timberland in Kidderminster stock lots of different woods. I have used them in the past. Also across the road from them is Paskins tool shop (I think you have missed their show now). Go to Ledbury on Saturday you may pick up some good timber although not many lots on sale by the look of it, it sometimes goes very cheap.

For construction timber I have used Edwards in Redditch in the past as they seemed to be the cheapest. Not sure if you are this side of Bromsgrove so that may not help.

Bob

Welcome aboard Richard.

For imported timbers, I recommend George Sykes at Atherstone. (On the A5 'freeway', I.e. free to travel on, but not free of traffic!) By USA standards, it's almost next door to Bromsgrove! Quite accessible and they stock many of the timbers you will be used to:

Southern Yellow Pine
Western Red Cedar,
Douglas Fir,
American Oak,
American Cherry
Parana Pine.
etc. etc.

They are not cheap, and they like to sell a fair quantity.
However, you gets what you pays for... :wink:

I have always found an advance phone call to discuss requirements is a way around some things. They are an approachable firm and I have never had any serious wasteage from their supplies.

If you do ever decide to go there let me know. I will do my best to guide you in, as traffic flow in Atherstone has changed and a 'roundabout' route is now necessary to find the yard.

I hope this helps.
http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/

John (Walsall, Nr. Junc 7 M6. Up the road a piece from you.) :)

bobscarle":ccs7o58m said:
Go to Ledbury on Saturday you may pick up some good timber although not many lots on sale by the look of it, it sometimes goes very cheap.
Bob

You forgot to add the advice to only bid on wood that will fit in the car, and not to bid on old tools you know nothing about.... How exactly do you use a plough plane (I think that is what it is) anyway???

An interesting experience though!

Latest posts

Back