Inflatable Drum Sanders - Bench or Floor mounted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tugalis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are need of a an inflatable drum sander. I thought it would be a world easier to find something but I am struggling, am I looking in the wrong place?

We currently cut boards down, use a bull nose router bit to round the edges over and then sand them using a palm sander to make the edges smooth. This was fine when we were doing a few at a time but business has picked up and it is becoming extremely laborious (hard work as well) to smooth the edges over.

The idea I had was to pick up a drum sander to make this quicker and easier for the person carrying out the work, for some reason I thought these would be every where but I guess not. They seem to have an abundance of makes/models in the US, floor and bench mounted but not here.

Am I missing something or are these just not a tool used much in the UK.

I have seen that there is a Shopsmith lathe attachment but I don't have a Shopsmiths lathe, not sure if this would fit our old Clarke
http://martins-supplies.co.uk/presta/sa ... ckage.html

If anyone can come up with a particular one that can be retrofitted to a bench grinder than Ill happily pick one up if there is a matching thread.

Thanks for the help in advance, apologies if its a little vague, let me know if you need any more info!

Try searching for a spindle sander or a bobbin sander, may give you more results

I had no idea such a thing existed. I shall watch with interest.

I have a bobbin sander, you can not sand entire contours with one.

I mean if someone can come up with a quick way to smooth contoured surfaces I'm all ears :shock:

I've got a drill mounted inflatable drum sander with a handle. Great piece of kit, but I've no idea where I got it from, or who makes it. I need to know, because it is just about to die after 30 years of service. Incredibly useful for curved pieces of work.

Why arent these sold in every tool shop? i think they are amazing things and definitely on my xmas list now.

Oh, that classic hand tools must be a part of rutlands.... theyre out of stock.

Mike....they are amazing!!

Droogs - I did see thise ones but wanted something more machine based. I think failing everything else I might end up getting something from them and buying a cheap drill to jig up.

Sam - I know right!! They seem to be a bit of an oddity over here for some reason. In the states they are pretty standard kit for a decent workshop. I think it's just one of those things like routers/table saws that we just haven't got on top of yet.

We run a small business cutting sheet goods down aswell as laser cutting/engraving and my brothers who live in the states couldn't imagine paying for our services. When he tells people they just laugh haha

I think it probably has alot to do with the larger houses, lower tool costs and self sufficiency lifestyle out there!

Good effort!!

What do they connect to then? I'm only looking on mobile but it doesn't state what they are for....

Back