Infinity Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I read Charleys review of Infinity bits with interest and I want to tell you of my experience so far. I bought my first Infinity bit, a raised panel type, about 3 months ago, and I am extremely impressed with its performance to date. I have made 28 full cuts (using about 3 to 4 passes a cut) in total on 18" sqaure panels in pine and it is still producing clean cuts everytime. Now considering the price I think I have stumbled across a bit to match our big names in the UK and at a fraction of the cost. I too got mine through Viking Mountain Tool Works and waited only 5 days for delivery - quicker than our own Royal Mail! And all this comes at a time when imports are associated with cheap and nasty products - not Infinity.

Thanks for your views on these,

I will certainly give those a try when I get a new router soon, I was going to try the "Perform" cutters as the "CMT" cutters are just too pricey, looks like these ones might be a good inbetween.

Nick :)

One other thing that id like to know,

How does one go about sharpening these cutters, they say that they are sharpened using some CNC machine or other, hmm I will have to have a look around in my workshop but im sure I dont have one of those :eek:

To get a diamond grindstone on these seems a little hit & miss, is there a place you can get them sharpened professionally?

Hi Norm Fan,

I have bought a few of the "Perform" cutters when they where on special offer to try out. I have used most of them now and I am quite impressed with how well they cut, they are much better than the "free" bits you tend to get thrown in with some of the cheaper routers. I can't compare them with "CMT" bits as I don't have any.
I am waiting for a "Surface Mortising Bit" to be delivered. I have ordered this from Highland Hardware in the States. I wonder how that will compare? This is 1 1/4" diameter and I want it to cut tenons using a Tenoning Sled on the router table.

On normal router bits you sharpen them by honing the flat face of the carbide, not the profile edge, with a diamond slip.

I was going to ask in the local hire shop about sharpening services, as they must have all sorts of blunt carbide tipped tools returned!

Hi DaveL,

Yes I have been meaning to try the perform cutters, I might get a straight cutting bit first & see how it goes before venturing out to the panel raising bits, they do seem good value for money & even though both of us have no experience of CMT bits the difference might not be that great.

I have been using my table saw for making tenons using a home made jig but when I get a better router I am going to use the router table as ive read they do a finer job.

Hi Norm Fan,

I have a 1/2" straight perform cutter that I fitted with a top bearing, mounted it in my 26 year B&D router and used it to cut all of the dados in the HiFi cabinet I have just made. Look in the Gallery to see an almost finished photo. (Must take one now it’s in the lounge. Glad it’s too big to walk of with, our daughter took one look at it and wanted to take it home!)

I have bought one of the boxed sets of raised panel perform cutters. They are only £60 for the two piece set, CMT cutters would be £130. I have only made trail cuts so far but I am very happy with what I have produced. The next step is one door from Cherry bought from Good Timber as 'test' build to go in to the kitchen to so how it copes with the heat, water and grease!
The thing you must consider is the usage you plan to put the cutters to, I will only be making doors for our own kitchen not trying to make my lively hood using them. (Unless some mad fool plies me with used £5 notes to make some for them.) If I planned to go into full-scale production of raised panel doors I would consider the CMT cutters as the length of their life would probably be longer.

All of the raised panel cutters must be use in a router table. I have an early Trend table, for which I have had to make a false top to allow the 3” diameter cutter to be used. Bear this in mind when you buy or build you router table.

The only Perform cutter I have used is the one which came with my dovetail jig, It is nice and sharp!

Maybe it would be worth reviewing some on SDA?

Back