Infill restoration help/advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't been to a car boot for a few years so decided to venture outside after realising how expensive second hand tools have become on eBay. To my surprise I spotted my first infill plane and instantly reached for a fiver. I probably couldn't have reached for it faster.

On further inspection, the plane is badly damaged with a broken rear sole. I felt a little teary when I realised someone had tried to silicon the thing back together. I would like to get it back up and running, with the intention of using it.

Firstly is this thing salvageable and secondly what is the first step of getting this thing back up and running?

I would start by sharpening the iron and seeing how the plane works. Then, if the results are encouraging, dig out the damaged area, apply filler then file/sand it smooth.

Hmmm... I can only see two out of three photos, and they of the body on its own. If the seller has got rid of the valuable bits (the iron and the lever cap) separately, you may have just bought yourself a paperweight... but if you have all of it, then I agree with rxh.

Back