Infill component planes...designed & manufactured by Hol

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having studied the photo provided by ian, i can see very little to really
frighten a non metalworker.

peining over the metal pieces to ensure that the metal dovetails
do not pull out, is only a gentle idea of persuasion, not clouting with
a bloody girt hammer.

given the way in which i believe that Karl makes his planes, and thus
may well make his kits, the amount of metal which needs to be
spread is not that great, so only should require "gentle massaging".

what you need as a punch is, as suggested a rounded bottom one,
not a pointed one, and maybe only a 4 0z warrington type hammer.
what some might call a cross pein one.

i think anyone who has made their own wooden dovetails by hand,
could given time and patience make one of these. 8)

so i have started saving too, and hope that i can get one if the queue
is not too long. then the only problem is what wood to put in as
the infill. any ideas about what are the best selections of wood
for infills???/

any way my 2cents

paul :wink:

any ideas about what are the best selections of wood
for infills??

2 issues here: functionality, and appearance. Functionally, you want stable and heavy wood. Appearance wise, it's your plane - whatever you like that fits that bill!!

classics include rosewood and ebony... Have a look on HNT Gordon's site under this link for some nice - and some frankly weird (check out the set of bright pink 'things'!!) - choices for plane wood:

http://www.hntgordon.com.au/specialtywoodcat.htm

Ian Dalziel":2dg8gdgq said:
a very small hammer and 2 or 3 nice round tip punches dont inflict damage to surrounding areas and doesnt buckle the plane.

Ian

For the sake of explicit detail, Ian;

* What diameter of punch tip?

* Are the round tips full hemispheres, or more like a hammer face (slightly rounded)

* when you say "small hammer", what head weight?

BugBear

For those that are more uninitiated than I - I have some but not much experience of peining - the type of hammering one does is really very gentle. It is more like Chinese Water Torture, with a drip .. drip .. drip, than anything with heft and anger. This permits a lot more control than one realises.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bugbear,
I'm at work right now and not due home until next week....my punches are different sized and i dont have the sizes here. My hammer is probobly around the 4oz mark which works well try tapping your finger and you'll find out the force it can land......different stokes for different folks.....there are different ways for doing lots of things....i did it the shepherd way and will never do it again....i've done it the 'Holtey way and yes its better for my style.

Infills can be anything even something here that will shock the purists
http://www.ivoryalternative.com/pages/otherproducts.html

' what an infill plane done in plastic' :shock: :roll: ooohhh yesssss

its coming....thats an exclusive here...no movement.... bring it on

Ian

Erm, wouldn't it be a bit slippery to hold...? :-k Ack well, whatever. I can see sourcing suitable timber for the infills could be a potential problem though.

Cheers, Alf

For those that are more uninitiated than I - I have some but not much experience of peining - the type of hammering one does is really very gentle. It is more like Chinese Water Torture, with a drip .. drip .. drip, than anything with heft and anger. This permits a lot more control than one realises.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This assumes you didn't over file the dovetails (DAMHIK) in the first place. Maybe with right punches I wouldn't have had to apply as much force to fill the gaps. On the other hand maybe I was just pineappled that I overfiled the dovetails in the first place and needed to vent :)

Wendell

I have also had a few emails with regards to my involvement with Karl

To avoid any confusion i wish to make my position clear....I am helping with researching,marketing, promoting, and with the build instructions of the componet planes.

The component planes will be designed and manufactured entirely by Karl Holtey

hope this clears up any confusion

Ian Dalziel

Alf":3u1z49k4 said:
Erm, wouldn't it[man made ivory] be a bit slippery to hold.

Since french polished hardwoods are the norm (oops) here, I don't see any extra difficulty.

BugBear (whose handles are only danish oiled)

bugbear":9zcnvj13 said:
BugBear (whose handles are only danish oiled)

actually Bugbear....Thats what Karl Holtey uses....I have also started to use it as Its very difficult to hide any blemishes with oil in fact its almost impossible

I

Erm, wouldn't it be a bit slippery to hold...?

Nope - a very similar form/function debate is centred on gunstocks. The tradition is beautiful walnut and the like, but synthetics offer dimensional stability, total imperviousness to water, sweat and oils, and greater strength...:

oct24_01.jpg

It's just a question of what the user wants, and how you shape, finish and etch the surface. I love traditional tools, and use them extensively, but I prefer them to be functional before they have to look beautiful - does that make sense?

Sorry, I'm a bit 'wound up' tonight - the regiment I served in for 18 years is just arguing over its amalgamation, and I've received an emotive letter from a retired officer I really respect. He's wrong about the course of action, but his pain is a sadness to feel. Anyone need anyone killed, or just roughed up a little? - it'd make me feel a whole lot better to indulge in some meaningless violence...

Anyone need anyone killed, or just roughed up a little?

Erm, yes please!. Shall I PM you the details?
I don't know what the going rates are, but do you do mates rates for UKWorkshop membership like?
:twisted:

As a professional cabinet maker and potential planemaker here are some thoughts:-
Kit planes produced by Karl Holtey can only be good for both woodworkers and those keen to try their hand at making a plane. Those woodworms unable/unwilling to pay the price of a completed plane can get something potentially just as good-but the difference must be made up with their own labour input-fair deal methinks. Those wanting to make a plane can get into it gradually by use of a kit, rather than go off the deep end: they gain confidence and see how each component should be made. One could even use the parts as patterns for producing a tweaked version-if one is a bit dodgey.
Folk should stop whingeing about prices-qualitymust be paid for. I think those ballpark introductory prices sound on the low side, as I cannot see any lowering of standards happening just because the end product is now a kit.
Altogether a winwin situation I would think.[/img]

All right, all right, anyone else want to jump on me while I'm here? :roll: T'was just a musing on my part. Anyone want to slap some garolyte on the sole while you're about it?

BTW, welcome to the forum, Philip.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2cfsph0i said:
All right, all right, anyone else want to jump on me while I'm here? :roll: T'was just a musing on my part. Anyone want to slap some garolyte on the sole while you're about it?

BTW, welcome to the forum, Philip.

Cheers, Alf

Of course not, Alf. I'm (nearly) always on your side :lol: .

Some random musings:
I have used the infamous garolyte plane and it is OK. You don't see the green stuff on the sole while you are working, you don't touch it.
Synthetics for on a plane (or firearms) are nothing new. Gutta Percha has been used on both in the past, i.e. Colt revolver grips and tote on the Champlain patent planes. I would rather hold wood and my planes are not subjected to hunting conditions such as a duck blind in a swamp. :lol:

Welcome, Phillip, I am an admirer of your work.

Sorry about that last transmission- after finally working out how to get an image onto the message said images have turned into mirages!
Maybe Derek Cohen will be able to retrieve them....
BTW, what is Garolyte?

I am in the process of completing a review of Philip's smoother, so I have several pictures to hand. Here are a few:

Smaller1.jpg

Smaller2.jpg

Smaller3.jpg

I will leave it to Philip to say more.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back