Infestation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
I was making a cabinet from birch ply and wanted matching solid lipping, doors and drawer fronts.

I got a piece of birch 4m by 30cm by 6cm. boy was that heavy. handsaws, bandsaws and a couple of helpers, took 2 days to mill what i wanted.

I then noticed some small holes in the milled stock, and looking again at the waney edge, it was like this:

remove-wood-borers-800x800.jpg

the thing is they were coming out of the wood whilst i was working it! I noticed a couple of what i thought were just flying beetles on the wood, which i thought had lost their way, so i kindly put them outside, then i realised they were coming out of the wood whilst i was milling it.

I used 20% of the board, and the rest is still in lumber rack. do they like "dead" wood, or will they move out? should i fumigate? I also have to warn the wife that "things" may emerge from the cabinet itself...

any thoughts as i don't want to lose all my hardwood stock :?

Thanks,

That picture i posted is an example, not the real thing. under the bark was rife. however there were holes in the hard wood. I have found it quite difficult to make the rails and stiles for my doors without having some holes. i put them at the back, or where i thought the shaping would remove stock where the holes are, however i still have visible holes.

I guess I am more concerned about it getting in to all my stock...

I'd be more concerned about it getting in your house and eating your furniture then, when it runs out of that, your floorboards and joists, followed closely by rafters bed and then your shed......

All together now...1..2...3

Big Jim was a worm, was a great big worm,
Was a great big, bright red, bloody red worm
Large and fat, just like a picture,
Crossed with an eel and a boa constrictor
Fed him on whiskey, made him feel frisky,
Pies and a pint or two
Big Jim was a worm, was a great big worm,
Was a great big, beautiful, bloody red worm.

ankledeep":2whh20ek said:
I'd be more concerned about it getting in your house and eating your furniture then, when it runs out of that, your floorboards and joists, followed closely by rafters bed and then your shed......

by the time it's milled and varnished, nothing left in there. the stock in my shed though, don't want that to get all infested. i see no one mentioned fumigation, so assume that's not standard practice.

Back