Industrial Bandresaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allylearm

Established Member
Reaction score
The remit is no pit, speed, width of cut, auto feed, angle ability, reliability and noise.

First up Weinig BKS, I like its size, jury still out about noise just like the Stenner, ease of setup and its fast enough. Easy to change to use angle cut facility, downside cost, the Rolls Royce here along with Stenner as the Bentley. The biggest issue for me in my workshop was always noise due to more than one machine operating and close proximity of each as always space is a premium. The only way round it was a custom sound booth for certain machinery, Resaw being our biggest culprit so to speak along with the Spindle depending on what is going through. Beamsaw was another escpecially on 12mm Trespa. Our 6 head Moulder was sorted by replacing with a new one with sound proofing already fitted and increased from standard.

This is my current favorite I did see an American machine but it looked over engineered.

http://youtu.be/i-Or5GY2CqA

Thirdly, the Stenner ST130 (I have only found a video on Dalton Machinery web site) I have not used or seen this one in action other than the video. It lookes like the Eagle which I do operate and is as noisy, still has that hole in table top and can be a right bramble to get into to clean out, I had a fire in one due to sawdust build up.

Fourth, Wadkin PBR, I bought one these from Wadkin many moons ago and as a machine costing below £11k it was good but it was not as quick as the Stenner Eagle and certainly not as good as the Stenner above. This machine is very much quieter than the Eagle owing to its rubber coated wheels. The fence tilts so doing shiplap as an example is within it capabilities. The big issue with me on ownership was the rubber wheels wearing out and needing traded back every year or two depending on use. But in its defence the Stenner ST130 and Weinig are at the other end of the market so to speak.

All these are under £25/30k depending on the deal or negotiating skill of the person, the Wadkin and Centauro at the lower end but no cheaper than £11k

oh, not as bad as i expected then. I am involved with purchasing cutting/machining tools for metals and I expected you to say upwards of £100k

For more expensive you are talking about Waco Resaw and the like with auto feed and stackers due to handling speed/timber measuring with cameras for defecting. There is a plant in the borders which spent £1m for such a milling setup, one operator and no human contact other than moving timber pack into position, operator selecting cut or deciding what splits/what is most economic cut out of trunk. Very impressive.

The machinery I am concerned about is for larger joinery or manufacturing which needs speed but versatility and robust in use. Stenner/Wadkin/Weinig fall in to this camp, but if I have procured & operated it I will tell you its negatives in ownership.

what will you be running through it then- what is your starting timber, logs or sawn timber?

Sawn Red pine/White Pine for my profiles (weatherboard/V Board/Flooring) and framing sections and sometimes dressed splits like Shiplap, so rubber wheels required. The closest I get to log is waney edged Beech though we have a Multi Rip/Beam Saw that handles that far much better. I do not use any larger than batten than 9"x3" or any longer than 6m long so it can be optimised and sorted.

Stormer1940":bmqx2ijc said:
The machine the first video looks like a awesome piece of machinery....

Very good bit of kit, but is not cheap. It is a nice size and very vesatile in use and easy setup. German engineering once again.

Back