individuals turning threads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridethewave

Established Member
Reaction score
While I am new to turning and this forum I would like to make a suggestion that I have seen and participated in on another forum(not woodworking but another hobby(reefkeeping)).
Basically people have a buid thread or turning journey thread where they show where they started and show occasionally how they are getting on and what they have learn't and mistakes made.
they show their setup and discuss their working practices etc.
This builds from week to week into a journey of discovery that can be followed and learnt from. advice offered and questions put.
I found that this can build enthusism and understanding into improving how we do things.

The downfalls to this type of thread can be things like people asking for help in their jouney thread instead of starting a new thread and linking to it.
Also chatter like I'm off for a coffee now.

To give you an idea...
A jouney thread might start with saying that you're planning on installing a lathe in your shed showing photos of the install and general layout of your workspace.
continuing on to show pieces that we've turned, upgrades and why etc

I would love to read the journey that you've done and learn from your mistakes before I repeat them myself.

John

Gallery additions. the quest for me time by chas is a journey type thread.... and my favourite :D

Ridethewave":zg6ju180 said:
I would love to read the journey that you've done and learn from your mistakes before I repeat them myself.

John
The main problem as I see it is that folks prefer to raise their own blogs or Facebook pages rather than post on forums.

If you want a warts and all journey start at the One small step Link in this list

Oh well.... bit of a shame because it would support this site by increasing the footfall and become an even more sociable place, in that there would likely be more daily postings and discussions.
Perhaps I'll start one and see how it goes.

thanks Chas and keep up the good work

John

While it can be fun to follow a thread from the beginning for months, even years, a long thread stops me from reading it altogether if I come upon it when it is well along.

Pete

To sit and read 10-20 pages of a thread that would show you where someone stared, what they had learned,changes to setup they had made, lathe upgrades, changes in how they do things and why, problems solved, help from others given ...seems like a good hour or so spent and would perhaps highlight things that we hadn't thought of as they had not yet come up in our own journeys. I find this type of thread compelling and inspiring.

John

Ridethewave":33hb9qzi said:
To sit and read 10-20 pages of a thread that would show you where someone stared, what they had learned,changes to setup they had made, lathe upgrades, changes in how they do things and why, problems solved, help from others given ...seems like a good hour or so spent and would perhaps highlight things that we hadn't thought of as they had not yet come up in our own journeys. I find this type of thread compelling and inspiring.

John
I like them as well John, it's revealing to read how others have solved problems successfully and where they've also made mistakes, I read many threads out of general interest even if I'm unlikely to ever tackle something similar.

If you want a REALLY long read though try the political thread that now stands at 190 pages, perhaps the forum should be renamed :(

I know what you mean by someone's journey and yes it can be interesting to read but as some have said to come in halfway through people are less likely to read all of it.
Not only that but it does make it more difficult to search for certain topics, not that I can ever find anything when I do a search as I am near useless when it comes to things like that.
If I do a build WIP then I will keep that in one place a bit like my Halftrack build in the projects section

I would suggest that certain topics have their own threads as usual but that if you think it adds to your journey thread that perhaps you mention or copy and paste suitable material or a link within the journey thread.
As mentioned about coming in halfway through a journey thread etc. If you just read the first page of a journey thread you might well know by then if it's something you want to read more of. Sometimes we like to watch a half hour tv program, sometimes a film and sometimes we find a box set with 10 series in that we love.

John

Back