indiginous wood to make nice pens?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ripples are in the grain, they give a nice 3d effect. I have a few more bowls to turn using the same stuff, I will try and get a good close up pic for you.
Keep an eye on the 4 weeks to go thread

Jonzjob":2ydzcbtr said:
Hows about walnut and box

PenFrances.jpg

Walnut has a lovely grain all of its own but I think the contrast works really well.

here we go Jon my first attempt at your knot! cherry with a few slices of walnut to make the knot. not symetrical :( but quite pleased with the first go :)
still trying to work out how to get the hole exactly in the centre :?
(and yes i was using the wrong size bushes :oops: )
knot keyring.JPG

knot keyring1.JPG

knot keyring2.JPG

Attachments

• knot keyring.JPG
    knot keyring.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 562
  • knot keyring1.JPG
    knot keyring1.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 562
  • knot keyring2.JPG
    knot keyring2.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 562
That looks pretty good to me Nev. A nice contrast too. well done mate, but always make sure the tube is glued in the hole properly or bits start disappearing rapid like :oops:

The way that I do it is to drill the hole before I cut for the knot. Then I select the lump with the hole nearest the middle and if anyone can tell me how to drill the hole down the center of the blank each time I would be VERY pleased to learn the secret :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I made a simple jig to cut my pen blanks to length and cut the slots for the Knot. They are now the correct length each time without any problems.

Penjig1.jpg

Penjig2.jpg

The only things to do when you are cutting the knot slots is to make sure the contrasting wood is the same thickness as the slot and that you don't cut right through. Then loads of glue on the contrasting bit and clamp it down tight. When you have cut and glued all four, or as many as you wish, just redrill the hole again through the contrasting bits. Gud 'ere init :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":muuen3nf said:
... but always make sure the tube is glued in the hole properly or bits start disappearing rapid like :oops:
ive been trying gator glue for the tubes, it foams and expands as it dries, but can be a bit messy :( and on this occasion used CA to glue the walnut strips in.
i was thinking of making up a jig with a 7mm 'rod' running parallel to the fence so once drilled the 'blank' can be slid onto the rod and then have its sides trimmed to be parallel. it would mean starting with a slightly bigger blank, but in the words of Scotty, 'it might just work!'

I'd have thought that cherry would be good. Also elm (burred or otherwise), spalted holly.

If you can find any that's straight enough and not split try gorse.

I found it to be the most abrasive material I've ever turned.

I have both Nev. If I am doing more than a couple of pens I find the 30 min better as the 5 min goes off too quick with the summer temps here. Which ever you use it's a good idea to let them cure for several hours and not just the 5 or 30 minutes..

The Leeds Model Shop price looks good too!!

That gorse look very interesting duncan..

duncanh":1q38siox said:
I'd have thought that cherry would be good. Also elm (burred or otherwise), spalted holly.

If you can find any that's straight enough and not split try gorse.

I found it to be the most abrasive material I've ever turned.

wonderful figuring on that, and works well with black. =D>

Latest posts

Back