Indian rupees

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to India recently or can recommend the best way to get rupees over there as I gather they are not available outside India.

Many thanks

Roger

Take sterling traveller cheques and change them at the airport on arrival, in the arrivals section, remember on leaving the country that you must change them back to Sterling before leaving. Exporting rupees was (is?) illegal. My sister is a frequent visitor to India I will ask her for further advice and post it here when I hear from her.
regards Mike

Roger,

According to the indian contractors I have working for me at the moment, bring cash / travelers checques in US Dollars, Sterling, or Euros and change them in any reputable place (i.e. a bank or Western Union Money transfer place)

HTH
Les

I went to India three times last year on business.

I just obtained Rupees at the hotel when I got there and charged it to my credit card.

I'm not sure if it was the cheapest way but I found I hardly needed any cash anyway as everywhere I stayed or ate took my card.

I didn't know it was illegal to bring my change home though .. oops!

Mike

Roger, most of the big hotels require their bill to be paid in stirling or $US, usually by CC. You will only need rupees for incidentals outside the hotel or maybe local market purchases etc.

If its your first visit, be prepared for a culture shock.

HTH John

woodshavings":8bktwpv5 said:
Roger, most of the big hotels require their bill to be paid in stirling or $US, usually by CC. You will only need rupees for incidentals outside the hotel or maybe local market purchases etc.

If its your first visit, be prepared for a culture shock.

HTH John

Hi John..thanks for the advice. Hotel bills (major items) already paid for so that's covered.

Am busily reading the India book from the excellent 'Culture Shock' series...even so, it still won't prepare us :) I am sure

Alf, not nosey at all. :)

Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Deogarh, Udaipur, Mumbai (transit), Kochi, Coimbatore, Kerala (Kukarakom), then to Sri Lanka (Sigiriya and Galle) then return to UK via Chennai (Madras). I'm also squeezing a trip on the Ooti mountain railway while LOML relaxes in Kerala.

Roger

Roger,

One of things that they don't mention in the guide books is the chronic shortage of small denomination bank notes in India. For this reason don't be surprised if you are given a handful of sweets instead of small amounts of change in shops!

I visited Delhi, Agra and Jaipur on a cricket tour 4 years ago. You will have a fantastic time, but be prepared for a huge culture shock, especially as you come out of the airport tired after a long flight. Be prepared to literally barge your way through a phalanx of hawkers and con-artists!

When you are in Agra, make sure that you visit the Taj Mahal - it is absolutely magical. Allow at least 4 hours for your visit - we were only there for a couple of hours and it was way too short. Try and go in the late afternoon so you can watch the sun set behind the dome - you will remember the view for the rest of your life!

One other tip - when you are being mobbed by beggars / street hawkers, try not to make eye contact (mirrored sun glasses are great for this) and don't answer them at all. Even saying "no thank you" tells them that they have your attention, and they will not leave you alone. It seems a bit impolite to just blank them completely, but belive me it is the only way to retain your sanity!!

Have a great trip.

Gary

Back