Indian club turning newby advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the only way to guarantee privacy. No one else will actually fit. Sleeping is tricksy though.
Driftwood yes, no nails though not so sure.
:ROFLMAO:
Just builders redwood would do for starters. Indian club exercises are about movement as much as mass.
Watch out swinging them about - you can easily club yourself, or smash a few lampshades.

Last edited:
Despite all the jolly sensible advice here I would still be happy to have a go at something usefully long. I thought I could make six skittles first as practice of shorter similar shapes. Unfortunately Yandles seems to say they won't post something to me on an island 600mm long anyway, and disappointingly it's cheaper to buy old clubs than a new blank I may ruin. Even a new club is not a lot more than a nice blank. Amazing.
Where is this 600mm long island? :)

I was half way through this thread, imagining Hairy clubbing baby seals with these rosewood clubs. Only then did I follow the wiki article and realised these clubs are not for hitting living things over their heads.

600mm is very long indeed. And dense hardwoods can be a challenge to turn.

How about having a trial go using good old maple? You can get 2x 300mm blanks, turn them separately, drill a socket in one and turn a tenon on the other. Then epoxy 2 halves together and them baby seals won't be bothering you on your personal island no more.

Just getting going with some more Indian clubs. I need them for "rotator cuff" exercises according to my physio.
Something from the log pile probably cedar. First wipe over with linseed oil hence a bit yellow.
17" seems a handy length - too long and you can club yourself accidentally!
The knob end has to be at the tailstock end so you can get your chisel in, and have the mass at the head end.
These are quite hefty so I will make a lighter pair. It's not about weight lifting like dumbells, it's about movement so any size/weight can be useful, and any wood variety including good old redwood.

2023-05-03 11.07.22.jpg

2023-05-03 11.06.34.jpg

Ready to go for the second one.

2023-05-03 11.08.30.jpg

Been following this chaps exercises

Just getting going with some more Indian clubs. I need them for "rotator cuff" exercises according to my physio.
Something from the log pile probably cedar. First wipe over with linseed oil hence a bit yellow.
17" seems a handy length - too long and you can club yourself accidentally!
The knob end has to be at the tailstock end so you can get your chisel in, and have the mass at the head end.
These are quite hefty so I will make a lighter pair. It's not about weight lifting like dumbells, it's about movement so any size/weight can be useful, and any wood variety including good old redwood.

View attachment 158520

View attachment 158521

Ready to go for the second one.

View attachment 158522

Been following this chaps exercises

..found this FB page. Indian Clubs | Facebook

Back