Indexable lathe turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of moving into the 21st century.

Any advice on indexable lathe turning tools?
I see all the usual suppliers (Warco, Chronos, RDG etc.) have them but prices vary quite a lot.

Any recommendations please?

For my tiny Unimat 3, I've got a set of holders and have bought tips from various suppliers at MEX shows.
I find they don't give a fine finish and have gone back to my HSS ones.

Rod

Hi

I'm with Rob on this one - HSS produces a better finish and requires less power to function.

Regards Mick

For thise that have a job getting a fine finish with the indexable tips try one of the tips for Non-ferrous metals such as CCGT rather than the general purpose CCMT. these are far sharper so don't tend to push the work away on a light lathe or slender part.

Did this crank in EN8 a couple of weeks ago, finish on the main shaft is straight off teh tool and was able to sneak upto the finished size to fit the ball races 0.001" off dia at a time.

As to the original question most of my holders are Glanze and the majority take the CCMT 06$$$$ type tips

Attachments

• IMAG2957sm.jpg
    IMAG2957sm.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,967
No CCGT

C = Rhombic Shape, C = 7degree Relief, G = Higher Tollerance due to ground edges, T = Single sides CSK hole

Although they are known as CCGT that really does not describe the differences very well apart from the G, you really need to look at the makers individual codes at the end of the full number after the size codes eg AK, AR, NAG-H1. These all refer to the specific geometry of the tip which is made to suit machining certain types of metal. They have a higher polished surface, sharper (ground) cutting edge and high TOP RAKE not relief.

Have a look at these and you will see the difference from the common general purpose CCMT type. They are also available in other shapes if you don't have a holder for CCMT.

http://www.cutweltools.co.uk/files/ww/TU%20D13.pdf

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... ning-Tools

Hi Jason,
Thanks for taking the trouble to correct my misconception, I am grateful for your trouble and courtesy. I have been using or abusing ccmt tips on my weedy Ml4 with varying degrees of success. I look forward to trying a tip more suited to the capabilities of the lathe or myself

best regards
Paul

Jason,

Another thank you as I've not been happy with the finish of CCMT tips either, and as I use a Perfecto which is an ML4 clone I'll also try your suggested tips.

Tony Comber

The CCGT inserts that RDGTools sell are good for pretty much everything, from aluminium to EN8 to 6/4 Titanium.

Back