Increasing cost & shortages

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

We all know of the price hikes and shortages when it comes to our woodworking but it is far more reaching. I need to upgrade a Pc and normally it is a simple process but at the moment there is a big shortage of some components due to Chinas's production capacity and as a result prices on what is available have gone through the roof, who else is experiencing any shortages of anything?

Been on going since about October. Medite have hiked the price to try and deliberately slow the market, as demand is through the roof.

I bought a little vintage pedal car in 2018 for £600, now they are going for £2000. Raleigh chopper trebled in value in a year

I had forgotten about them, normally use Scan but Aria are slightly cheaper on some Motherboards and do have a range of GPU cards in stock, but it is more difficult these days if you are not a gamer or into high end 3D modeling and just want a half decent Pc.

I think Covid has lowered production capacity around the world.

Timber is in short supply - due to sawmills closing or lowering production.

Just had a similar conversation with a decorator mate, we were both in agreement that by far the worse shortage is cask beer & pubs selling it 😔
Come March it will be a year since I’ve been in a pub, think ll be putting a week in when they finally open again properly.

On a positive note it’s good too see Axminster selling Clifton Planes and Thomas Flint saws again. I wonder if this is in part down to a shortage of LN and Veritas stock but whatever good to see stuff made in Sheffield on their shelves.

Apparently the timber issues are driven by America buying in from elsewhere and paying more, so the European quota has been reduced and if we want it we have to pay higher prices.... thats info from jewsons

I would just like to reassure our Irish bretheren that the Tunnocks are awaiting uplift by Russian submarine (daily hire rates very very reasonable considering) on a moonless night and will be put ashore next to the dublin/wicklow county line next to the electroplating plant at the north end of Shankhill beach in sealed ziploc bags exchange payment may be made by bottles of Red Lemonade or blocks of Kerrygold 🤫 :sneaky:

..... Another problem with stuff posted abroad from UK is carrier's charge for customs clearance often exceeding cost of low value goods.

Yeah, carrier charges for "Customs Clearance" is a problem we (Switzerland) have been having for some time - we're non-EU, like UK is now.

Frankly it seems to me to be just a racket which the courier & parcel deliverers which I've had anything to do with all seem to be treating as an "unregulated gold mine"! I guess it will stay much the same unless/until our respective Govt's "do something" about it. "Do NOT hold yer breath" IMO!

... thats info from jewsons

Local merchant told me that the reason they started charging delivery for account holders was due to the rising cost of fuel.

This was the same week as that time when crude momentarily dipped into negative, and the pump prices were also low.

I treat any justification on pricing from builders yards in the same way as I treat our PMs claims and promises -

May be true, but, equally well could be a downright lie. And it's really not worth the effort considering which one of the two it might be today!

I would just like to reassure our Irish bretheren that the Tunnocks are awaiting uplift by Russian submarine (daily hire rates very very reasonable considering) on a moonless night and will be put ashore next to the dublin/wicklow county line next to the electroplating plant at the north end of Shankhill beach in sealed ziploc bags exchange payment may be made by bottles of Red Lemonade or blocks of Kerrygold 🤫 :sneaky:
Brilliant!!

Apparently the timber issues are driven by America buying in from elsewhere and paying more, so the European quota has been reduced and if we want it we have to pay higher prices.... thats info from jewsons
I remember a few years ago when the Chinese were supposed to be buying all the steel - perhaps they were. I wouldn't necessarily consider Jewsons as a reliable source of info. When it comes to buying materials, my motto is "choose Jewsons last" - of course your local branch may be different!

Local merchant told me that the reason they started charging delivery for account holders was due to the rising cost of fuel.

This was the same week as that time when crude momentarily dipped into negative, and the pump prices were also low.

I treat any justification on pricing from builders yards in the same way as I treat our PMs claims and promises -

May be true, but, equally well could be a downright lie. And it's really not worth the effort considering which one of the two it might be today!

one way or another, the answer is always "we raised the price to meet our earnings target" unless there's an outright shortage and the attempt is made to eliminate running out of stock.

But the same folks who will check on fuel cost also think that retailers shouldn't have earnings. The fuel surcharge here has long been a thing. In some cases on itemized bills, fuel is below cost that it was before the fuel surcharge is added, but it's left on because it's easier to leave it there than it is to change overall rates outside of the surcharge.

One way or another, you're paying.

Here in the US, like said above with collectible items - many have skyrocketed in value because people are sitting at home collecting things instead of going out - they're just entertaining themselves, and market assets are high so people are spending the money. It's a lesson for the rest of us that something that goes that high is risky and better to stay away from it.

Building materials are way up here due to a small decline in supply, but a bigger increase in demand for fitting out houses now that everyone is home.

AS are pets (everyone wants a pet now - some will realize that pets last longer than lockdowns and wish they didn't get one if they weren't "pet people" previously).

If its gpus you're after then blame the stupidity that is bitcoin for the scarcity and price. It's been insane for years.

Most of my stuff comes from ocuk. Can't remember the last time I used scan or aria.

Hi all

We all know of the price hikes and shortages when it comes to our woodworking but it is far more reaching. I need to upgrade a Pc and normally it is a simple process but at the moment there is a big shortage of some components due to Chinas's production capacity and as a result prices on what is available have gone through the roof, who else is experiencing any shortages of anything?
One of the contributing factors is that mining is increasing again so GPU's are particularly difficult and expensive to get hold of. I've been after a mid range card for a while but I won't pay the stupid prices.

I remember a few years ago when the Chinese were supposed to be buying all the steel - perhaps they were. I wouldn't necessarily consider Jewsons as a reliable source of info. When it comes to buying materials, my motto is "choose Jewsons last" - of course your local branch may be different!
I can second jewsons account it's something. To do with a charge the US put on Canadian timber causing them to buy from Europe instead

When I build a PC I use pcpartpicker, there is a uk version of the site. It tells you if the component parts are compatible together, such as if they fit and if your psu is enough, and importantly who sells it the cheapest. Built a few high end computers this way now, far cheaper than a premade machine. Remember to run cpu tests once built, I had a faulty cpu last time and shops are slow to replace if you report it after a month, shop replacement after a month but send them to the manufacturer for testing first, processor manufacturers replace them under a month immediately . Good luck

Back