incra vs woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Never having seen one used it took me a while to figure out the woodrat, i.e the stock is moved along one axis while the router can be moved along the other axis. I have also looked at the Incra fence but cannot see much advantage over any other accurate fence. Would someone with an Incra like to enlighten me.This is not a dig at either system, just a request for knowledge.

Jay
Its the same kinda thing-once you spend some time using it the penny drops!
The Incra fence has a "mitre gauge" that slides back and forth along the fence, with a stop system. So the fence is moveable in simple repeatable increments (with a slide in template system-it comes with a book of different layouts) and the gauge runs smoothly through the bit.
It works really well-better than you would imagine!
Cheers
Philly :D

Jay

As Philly said, you need to use it to really appreciate it. I too was sceptical until I actually used one

I have used router tables for about 7 years and just fitted an Incra this christmas. I finally know what a router table can do :wink:

I don't think you can compare the Incra to other acurate fences as there are very few around - if any in this class

Jay

I went through a similar deliberation exercise recently. The thread is here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3908.

Some very good arguments for and against including a very eloquent precis of the pro's and con's by Chris (Waterhead).

I went for a 'rat - not least because I had the offer of a fantastic deal on one. Having said that I can see me also getting an Incra at some point in the future (well, maybe...need to see how well I get on with the 'rat first :wink: )

My main bugbear when using both my existing router table and table saw is. repeatability.

Roger

Back