Incra too long?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

In the process of a new workbench design in which the router is part of it, along the lines of Denis(Hooked on wood) but more modular. Now I am nowhere near as experienced with the router or router table as many on these forums so looking for feedback and your thoughts as I have some issues that could send me down the wrong path.

I currently use a Kreg table and Triton router, it works great but takes up floor space which I am short of so hence the new bench, but I want the repeatable precision of the Incra fence. Now this sticks out behind the fence which requires a deeper worktop, about an extra 200mm. I want to use either the Benchdogs plate or make one like Denis so that the fence can be easily removed when not in use and this also provides a course fence adjustment by using the holes. It also means the positioner can be attached to keep the extension shorther and more rigid. Now the Incra is 430mm long, does it really need to be this long? I have about 150mm of fence adjustment on my Kreg and have never had a situation where it has prevented me from doing a task so would a shorther positioner be the answer if Incra made one? It will not really be much cheaper as a lot of the cost is in the main body and adjusters but could be more helpful to those with limited space. The other option I have thought about is to have a hinged flap, like a table at the back. When needed the bench is moved forward and the flap raised then the fence attached.

Has anyone an accurate 2D drawing of the Incra positioner?

Less fancy than the LS positioners but INCRA's original jig and fence system features 200mm of fence travel. It's very simple to use and "indexes on 1.0mm increments with the same + and -0.03mm positioning accuracy and repeatability of our top-of-the-line LS Positioners".

The original jig and fence combined cost about £140. Could be a low(ish) cost solution?

There are limitations of course. Like not being able to easily do box/finger or dovetail joinery on casework larger than 200mm wide. But if you haven't experienced problems with the 150mm travel on the Kreg system then I guess this would work fine for you?

You can make yourself a plate to fix it to that references the dogholes in your table.

I had not seen the original jig before, very interesting and had also forgotten about some of the other features that depend on the travel like box joints. I suppose if it is mounted using holes then the restriction is lifted, you have the 96mm course positioning and as always having to much can be accomodated but to little and you are stuck.

Roy, I think a shorter Incra positioner would work well with a table you propose, provided Incra could be persuaded to make one or the 17-inch version could be modified. The ability to move the positioner base in accurate 96mm increments along the table would shift the limitations of maximum work from the positioner to the table.

I like the idea of a folding wing at the end of the table that could be used when needed to extend the range.

Less fancy than the LS positioners but INCRA's original jig and fence system features 200mm of fence travel. It's very simple to use and "indexes on 1.0mm increments with the same + and -0.03mm positioning accuracy and repeatability of our top-of-the-line LS Positioners".

The original jig and fence combined cost about £140. Could be a low(ish) cost solution?

There are limitations of course. Like not being able to easily do box/finger or dovetail joinery on casework larger than 200mm wide. But if you haven't experienced problems with the 150mm travel on the Kreg system then I guess this would work fine for you?

You can make yourself a plate to fix it to that references the dogholes in your table.
I like this idea, I might pinch it at some point.

IMG_0121.JPG

This is how I've got it configured. I haven't drilled dog holes in the 18mm plywood base plate, though I could easily using the Parf guide Mk2 system that I used to make the table. I just use dog hole mounted toggle clamps at the moment, so it basically achieves the same thing assuming the setup is careful.

I have an incra ultra jig, it is pretty long.
When I made my router table I worked it out so that when not using it I can pull the fence all the way forward and everything is inside the table.
I have it on large castors so I can push it out the way when not in use.
Also I inserted a t-track into the bed parallel to the fence so I can use a mitre guage easily.

The Incra is a great system by the way.

Pdf manual here
https://incra.com/router_table_fences-ls_super_sys.html
Ollie

Back