Incra jg and New Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly,
That is a very fine looking router table! Is that a cast iron top - where is from? Why does it have a handle - full details please!

Chris,
The cast iron top came from the Record router table. I bought it at a show on a whim, and found a few shortcomings with it later. (i.e. rubbish fence, no dust extraction, blah,blah!)
The advantage of the cast top is it absorbs vibration really well and is really flat and "non-giving"! :D Also it has a good clamping system to hold the router. The handle was there to lift the top up, as the old table would open to allow access to the router for bit changes. I left it on as it is handy for moving the table around the shop, the new one being on wheels.
The table does owe Norm Abrams a bit. I stole his dust extraction idea and the bit storage. Otherwise, the design has evolved over quite a few variations. (this is version 6!)
I am really pleased with the Incra, thanks for your recommendation. An add-on fence front is being made as we speak.
I look forward to getting stuck in with the Incra-I will report on my progress.
All the best,
Philly :D

Nice setup Philly, keep us up to date.

Rgds

Noel

Hi All,
Here are a couple of pics of my first go with the Incra jig.
http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/inc ... table.msnw

I used an offcut of Wenge to make a box. Wenge is pretty brittle so I thought it would be a good test to see how well the jig worked. As you can see, they came out really nicely. I will attempt some thru-dovetails next (before I try some of the arty "double" joints!)
Cheers,

Innocently went off to have a look at your box, Philly, and got the full force of your LN gloat in my face :roll: :lol:

NeilCFD

Philly.

That is very neat and as you say, in a difficult wood. Congrats too on the subtle gloat, wouldn't have noticed it unless you'd mentioned it!

What can I say-I love it! :D
I can promise no more gloats for the near future-I need to get on with making stuff. Now that I do promise to show.
Regards,

Hi All,
Another update!
After letting Waka loose on my planes and a bit of a sharpening session, I thought I better make something this weekend!

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/inc ... snw?Page=1
The last picture on this page and then onto page 2

http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/inc ... snw?Page=2

I wanted to try out the Thru dovetail capabilities of the Incra. A little step stool for my Daughter was all the excuse I needed.
I planed up the Sapele, cut the edges square and we're away!
(Sorry, I did'nt take any "In Action" shots- I was too busy concentrating and forgot :lol: )
It did'nt take long to run the pieces thru the bit, adjusting according to the template that I chose for the spacing/thickness of material. To be fair, I could probably knock out 4 boxes in pretty much the same time. The set=up, whilst not lenghty or difficult, takes almost as long as the machining. (I will remember this for the future-home made Christmas pressies are going to be a cinch this year!) Interestingly, all the cuts are made with a dovetail bit in the router-no straight cutter is used, unlike the Leigh, etc. I wont disclose how this is done ( :twisted: ), but it is clever!
As you can see from the pictures, the finished article came out great (yeah ,the spacing wasn't perfect-but it was a "Test" piece :D ) I look forward to using this jig in my upcoming projects!
Cheers,

Chris,
Rush, Rush, Rush!
Yeah, I told myself "don't worry, just rip a bit off one side to level it out". never did though. Do you have the "board centering jig" from incra? is it worth getting?
cheers,

Philly

Where did the metal router table top come from? Looks perfectly flat and smooth to me and I want one!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,
The cast iron top came from the Record router table. It is a beast, and flat as a pancake. It absorbs vibration quite nicely too!
Cheers,

Latest posts

Back