Incra iBox - Anyone familiar with it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oobaa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just got hold of an incra iBox but struggling a bit to dial it in

I’m getting a slight (<1mm) mismatch on joint boards as in the pictures

Played around with the microadjuster to loosen / tighten joints but when the joint is a nice fit I get the mismatch

Any ideas / advice welcomed - thanks

0fe6616a3030c5c1158f0183695291de.jpg

651f257842f237f179d15d9563a9ddda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
Hi - yes watched them 2 or 3 times
Not sure it’s the height of the cutter as the height/length of the fingers seems ok

Something is causing the boards to misalign slightly.... grrrrr

sunnybob":2yx61pxs said:
adjust the router cutter height.

Belay that! Just looked at the ibox demo and my advice is not relevant for that gadget :oops:
Have you checked incra's videos?
https://www.incra.com/precision_fences-ibox.html

Hi - if i reduce the cutter height, the fingers protrude less but the board long edges are still out of alignment

Ah yes, apologies, I missed the point!

Is your "kiss" calibration spot on? I assume (never having used the iBox) that 1/2mm inaccuracy here could translate to 1mm in the joint.

think so... can't get a piece of paper between the cutter and guides - but worth more experimenting I reckon
Thanks

Probably not helpful - but are you reversing the boards somehow? The fingers seems a good tight fit and ready to be trimmed down. It just seems like one board ha been reversed or started at the wrong edge?

Pretty certain the boards were orientated correctly - I def marked them up ok

I’m beginning to wonder if it’s related to the tightness of the joint fit and/or the kind as alignment

Back to trial and error on cheap Wood :)

How do you do your first cut on the second board? You need to flip over the first board, put its first cut over the fingers and the butt your second board upto it. Your first cut on the second board should cut to the edge of the board. It looks like something is going wrong there.

It looks like a problem with the positioning of the stop that you slide the boards up to. This will set the side-to-side positioning of the workpiece. it can't be the height of the cutter, as it's in the wrong plane.

I flip the first board so it’s marker faces the fingers and it’s first cut is over the fingers
Butt the new board to that its marker is also facing the fingers
Remove first board
Make cut

I think you are right though - if I am getting that wrong somehow - even if only <1mm, it would explain the misalignment

Given the same type of error occurs every time - I’d assumed a setup problem - could easily be user incompetence though :)

Sleepy":3ga4oim0 said:
How do you do your first cut on the second board? You need to flip over the first board, put its first cut over the fingers and the butt your second board upto it. Your first cut on the second board should cut to the edge of the board. It looks like something is going wrong there.

Back